1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teach me about MM Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squire65, Oct 1, 2013.

1. squire65

squire65

Sep 22, 2013
    Italy
    I really love the way it looks (black or honeyburst)....I would buy it just to stare at it!!!
    Anyway, would someone tell me something about the sound? Which one would you suggest: HH H HS?

2. funkster62

funkster62

Oct 24, 2011
    Knoxville MD
    To get an idea of the Stingray sound, listen to some 80's Sade CD's, that'll give you something to go on (at least that was when I fell in love with Stingrays). Being the owner of both H and HH models, I prefer the HH because it has very versatile pickup switching, giving you not only the classic Stingray sound but P-bass and J-bass sounds as well. Well worth the money, IMHO.

3. Just bought this black one last week, my first Stingray, been really enjoying it:

E91131-front-large_zps0dc390bb.

The single H version is a classic IMO and has plenty of sound options. If you spend some time on youtube you'll find some examples like this one of the different tones the single H gives with the EQ:

4. squire65

squire65

Sep 22, 2013
    Italy
    Thank for your reply, but I've read lots of bads about HHs...Primarily that they do not sound as a real Stingray!
    And that there's non room for easy slapping

5. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    They sound just like a SR with the bridge pickup on.

Slapping is different, but you get used to it.

6. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    reading about tone is bad for you. Search youtube, goto a store, etc. If going to a store is not a reality and reading is your only choice. Read about the history of the bass and the fact that like other basses's by Leo Fender it has not changed much in 20 years. 2 band EQ to 3 band. It is not a bad choice, it is a great one. The tone is not for all but is undeniably a regular choice.

7. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    The ONLY thing that i don't like about the MM 5s is that the G-String is very close to the edge of the neck, compared to almost all other 5 string basses sadowsky, Alleva, Fodera, Pedulla, Yamaha etc.
    That issue, and i do find almost all of them too heavy in weight.

If there were many that were closer to 8.5 - 9.5 pound stingray 5s and if the G string didn't feel as it would fall of the neck if i wanted to wiggle it. I would have at least two.

8. I hear you on the weight, that is what kept me from buying one until I found that black one (above) at Sweetwater that weighed just 9.0 lbs even and I snagged it. The G string on mine isn't any closer to the edge then the B on the other side, the neck is narrow but that's what I like about it.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the HH is the best configuration too. Stingrays are wonderful basses

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Tell you about Stingrays? 5 stringers you say? Possibly an HH? Possibly honey burst?

This picture should tell you everything you need to know!
    medium.
    :D ;)

I've owned/bought/sold/traded about 10 basses since getting this one and I currently own three other basses besides this one. So far none of those other basses have been able to knock it out of my number one position.

I wouldn't make any "best bass in any price range" claims. However, it's extremely well made, it has a very wide tonal palette, the scale length (34") and string spacing (17.5mm) fit my personal ergonomics very well, and it feels comfortable on me. If you're talking looks, I'm a sucker for bursts and tort and mine has both. Then factor in that, purely in my opinion, Ernie Ball's honey burst is by far the prettiest finish they offer and you can see why it will be tough for another bass to unseat this one from its number one position (again, strictly speaking about my own personal opinion).

I had a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 that came close, but I sold it because the ergonomics didn't work me. Same with the Lakland 55-02 I sold about 7 years ago. There are things about other basses I've had that I liked better than this one but my SR5HH still ends up with my highest overall score. I've been VERY happy with this bass.

11. I kick myself for trading away my SR5 H. I had an HH config as well, and the extra tones from it really didn't wow me. I also didn't like the pickup placement - it just felt out of place with that extra H, kinda like they just shoved it in there. That's why I made the switch to a G&L L 2500.

IMHO, single H Stingrays are the nuts.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've got a single H SR5 that I love. I had an HH a few years ago and like it a lot too.

If you can, play one first. The nut width and string spacing make the SR5 a little tight feeling for some.

13. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I have a SR5 H; it's a beautiful instrument but I almost never use it, and whenever I do I'm reminded why not....it is peculiar to my playing style, and I use a pick almost exclusively. For some reason, the SR just sounds lame when picked, no matter what I dial in with the pre or the amp EQ. I mainly play a P5, Cirrus 5, and a Ric 4003s/5, and I also have a Tbird 5 for good measure. All sound MUCH better than the SR (IMHO) when *I* play them. However, I've had a buddy who's a great fingerstyle player use my SR, and it sounds great when he plays it (my Ric, not so much). So, if you're planning on doing some pickin'--I'd recommend something else, personally.

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    And I'll jump in to disagree with that :)

15. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Interesting...must just be my mediocre ability. But I've never had a bass that sounded so different when picked vs. fingerstyle. I can sound more like Tony Levin on my P5 than I can with the MM, which is the sound I was hoping to nail.

16. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    I recently acquired a Stingray 5 HH and my bass teacher and I did a comparison with my 3 other basses. A Sterling 5H, a Fender ADPV, and a 5 string Hamer Cruise bass with a 2TEK. We played them all through an Ampeg B-15. The clear hands down winner was the Stingray. We both agreed that the Ray had a richer more balanced tone than the others. I do play a pretty aggressive slap style at times and I have no issues with the HH configuration. The versatility of the three band with the HH gives me everything I need on a gig. Very pleased with my Ray.

17. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I have a '92 SR5. It was the first bass I bought new and will never sell it.

Mine is single H (that's all they did then) but I found it to be plenty versatile. The switch is the important thing. You've got three very different tones to start with. You can be really subtle with the EQ but the low end is just earth-shaking if you want it.

I didn't really have an issue with the G string being close to the neck edge but I did notice it after I got other basses. Honestly, I think you just get used to playing *that* bass and you're fine. Slapping is a delight.

Also, setup is a breeze thanks to the truss wheel. It may not seem like a big deal but it can really come in handy.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Every bass should come with a truss rod wheel. It's so friggin' easy.

19. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Wow. 17 replies and none nailing the important issues:

- The SR5 came out in '87 (I think), with alnico pickups.
    - In '91 (I think), the switch to ceramic pickups.
    - in 2008 (for sure), they switched back to alnico pickups (and they're still made that way)

I prefer the sound of the ceramic pickups. They are a bit more aggressive sounding. But, to be sure, there are plenty of people who prefer the alnico pickups. So, you really have to decide for yourself which you want.

- The H model was 3 switch positions: Parallel (the "classic" Stingray sound), Single Coil or Series with filter (depending on pickup type), and Series.
    - The HH (and HS) model has 5 switch positions. 2 of them are the same as 2 of the positions on the H model, and the other 3 are different. The HH does not have a setting that corresponds to the H model in Series mode.

My favorite sound on a Stingray is the H model in Series mode (with a ceramic magnet pickup). It's very mid-present and aggressive sounding. You can imagine it cutting through a mix like a buzzsaw. Since the HH and HS pickup models don't offer this exact sound (and it's the best sound they have, IMO), I prefer the H model.

Further, the switching between the current SR5 and the pre-2008 is not identical. On the pre-08, the middle position is just bridge coil with phantom coil. On the newer ones, it's both coils in Series plus with a filter.

And, just to add to your information overload, in 2008 when they changed the SR5 back to alnico, they also came out with the Sterling 5. The ST5 is a different body shape than the SR5, but it has the ceramic pickup and preamp that was in the pre-08 SR5. So, if you like the pre-08 sound, but want a lighter bass or a newer bass, you can get that by finding yourself a Sterling 5.

20. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA