1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teach me about this Peavey 400 Series Bass Amp, please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squashedOpossum, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hey guys,
    I just inherited the following Peavey 400 Series amp. Please educate me on this amp. Approximately how old is it? I figure it's probably 70's(?). What cabinet was made for this head?

Also, there are 4 inputs, seems to be for 2 channels. Can anyone give me details on this? What kind/model of footswitch would I need to look for, and what does it control?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:D

IMG_0891.

IMG_0893.

IMG_0889.

2. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
  3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Did you look on the bottom of the amp?

4. Yeah, no serial # anywhere.

5. lareamond

lareamond

Nov 16, 2010
    I'm unfamiliar with your model, but unscrew the back and slide the chassis out of that. There should be a metal plate or sticker on the chassis with a small wiring diagram inside on the bottom. Most Peavy wiring diagrams have a year on them. I recently repaired a few Peavey tube amps (guitar) for my father in law. They had a wiring diagram inside.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Peavey will help you with the footswitch and the schematic and/or manual. Email or call the service dept. after the holiday. I have a schematic in PDF form as well -- PM me if you want that, but Peavey may have a better one. The footswitch is 4-function: channel select, channel combine, fuzz, and distortion.

I've fixed a few of these, and used one that my band leader provided on a few gigs. It is ancient (the schematic is dated 1975), as you gathered, but if it's been kept up it may serve you fine anyway. Best of luck!

7. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    I owned one of those, bought it used in '77. It was paired w/a 2-15 cab. The drivers had a chrome dustcap and a square magnet. The cab was split in two chambers, and the vents were angled out like "horns".

The EQ only works w/the distortion channel, of which I really didn't like. Most of the time I used the normal channel. Never had a footswitch to see what it did control. If I remember right I believe the jack under the footswitch served like a line-out for recording.. For its time it wasn't a bad amp...

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My uncle has one of those he bought new around '78 with a matching 2x15 cab, and that's what I borrowed in the late 80's when I was in high school starting out on bass. Nothing great really, tone was alright, but it's limited eq forced you to learn how to make your tone with your hands. 210w was okay for a garage band of teens to make noise with, but ran out of poop when I tried using it in a gym or outdoor party at that time.
    The thing is a tank though and doesn't die, he still has it.

9. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Those 215 cabs didn't help it's potential tone or volume. The 1501 BW loaded cabs where better, but nothing compared to something designed for and loaded with modern drivers.

10. Thanks for the info, guys! :D

I should have stated in my OP (and it may have been obvious, anyway) that I don't have a cabinet to use with it right now. This is my first non-combo amp, so I'm having to learn about cabinets and ohms, etc. I see most have used this with 2x15. Anyone ever run a 4x10 with it?

And for what it's worth, I love classic 70's rock, so I'm excited about the possibilities. However, I don't want to limit myself to that heavy, overdriven, classic rock sound. Is this amp strictly a one-trick pony as far as tone?