Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

teach me how to slap please!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HalfLife02, Jan 17, 2003.

1. im a punk bassist, single bar chords are frickin boring sometimes, but i dont even know where to begin on how to slap, pointers from anyone would be alot of help, thanks, john

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK - that'll be £15 an hour!! ;)

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I want 10 pence for my two links then

4. Bruce Lindfield

You certainly deserve it!! ;)

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    lol

6. its simple, just slap the bass like you were slapping one of your friends, Back hand is preferred.

Ohhh that kinda slap. Alright align your thumb with the string and neck so the tip of your thumb is facing the head. Now slap the string with your thumb. Thats it. It sounds easy but its pretty hard at first. I still dont have total control of it and ive been slapping for almost 2-3 years. To Pop you just put your index or middle finger underneath the string then pull up and let go. Thats all there is to it. Of course the Links posted by CS will probably help you alot more.

7. smitty285

smitty285

Oct 16, 2002
    Now, I know I'm missing something pretty big here because when I try slapping, all I hear is the click of the strings hitting the frets. How in the world am I supposed to do this?????????????

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Hmmm... I'd recommend an amp.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hmmm. I'd recommend an instructor . . .

If its worth learning, its worth learning correctly, IMO.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - you need a teacher really. I could show you in a a few minutes and see what you were doing wrong, give you feedback etc.

But this is almost impossible without actually being there in front of you and seeing what you are doing!

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey you live in santa barbara!
    I live in Ojai...thats not too far from SB....come to my Senior Recital! I'll teach you how to slap :D

May 23rd-May 24th Solo bass concert with some combo sets.

if you don't want to wait that long, then there are plenty of teachers in Santa Barbara(or so my friend's would lead me to believe) look around and see if you can get a trial lesson or something(to set you on track)

I still recommend you come to my show(pm me if your interested)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Make sure you charge him the going rate!!

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you mean mug him as he's going to his car :D
    har har har har.

14. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    www.gazzbass.com :D