Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teacher finder

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Nick Gann, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think a cool thing would be a "Bass Teacher Finder". Not really a forum, but more of a "database". Something where bass teachers here on TB can put their name in with some contact info, and it can all be based on location. It could be done by country and state, and the teachers could put their name and info in their state/country, with a more specific location such as city or county as part of their "ad". It would give people like me who need a teacher a good place to look for one.

2. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    good idea, in my opinion. to add onto that idea, it might be a good idea to make it mandatory for the teachers in the database to update their info every so often, so that the list does not contain any outdated info.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Good idea!

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm all for this idea as well.

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Anyone else have opinions on it?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oooh, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I think this is a fantastic idea!

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks for the support Matt!

8. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Great idea, I know a few teachers in the UK who would contribute their details onto the database if it was ever made and added to the site. Its a good idea to cover the US and Europe as well!

Andy :)

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Great idea. Especially if there is some one in the DC area to teach DB. Lets hope Paul can put it together

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to bump this up to the top :)

11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I hate to do it again, but I want to nudge this to the top. Do you think this would be possible Paul?

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm down with this.

14. You get an A+ Nick-Nack. Thats you're new name. :)

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    at first i forgot that this wasn't in the mod forum and i was seriously questioning how you posted that.

:)

16. he he he! I am the master of all forums!

17. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I think we may be able to use the built-in functionality of our profile fields to accomplish this. To test this out, I've created two new profile field options (edit profile in My TalkBass). The first is a drop-down menu to select the area in which you are available to teach. The second is a multiple-selection check box field to select those areas in which you are qualified to teach.

These profile fields are searchable in the advanced member search:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/memberlist.php?do=search

If this idea works, I can make the advanced user search much more visible, and link it to a 'teacher finder' navigation link.

Also: maybe we could break down the bass guitar instruction check boxes a bit more...

18. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is totally awesome! I think it will be a really cool addition to the forum and people's profiles.

One thing you might consider is to put a place in that same section where the person can put a paragraph about their credentials/experience in teaching and performing.

I think that Electric Bass is enough. Classical and Jazz double bass are so different musically and technically and many (most?) people only do one or the other. Electric bass is more generalized technically and theoretically (I know that many might like to argue that point). I think Classical Double, Jazz Double, and Electric are enough.

Thanks for making it happen, I think this will give a lot of people new opportunities to play and learn :)

19. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Ahh, of course. I've added a text box for a short resume.

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I just put mine in and it cut off the bottom part. Is there a maximum length?