Teacher! I have a question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phunkjam, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Hey all,
    well, I got no new musical gear for christmas, but with work and christmas combined, i have about $600 in my pocket. Would any of you be able to recommend a good fretless bass in this price range? Thanks a lot.

- Nate :D
  2. Get A fender MIM fretless and get a new bridge, pickups, and a J-retro.
  3. does the j-retro passive mode work with active pickups? does this preamp only work with passive pickups and what the hell is a pp3 battery?
  4. MTD Kingston. Good, cheap, and well built. Try all the basses you can and then buy one.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    go the cheap way,defret your current bass!
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you MAY find a used fretless bolt on warwick for that amount. the streamer standards sound surprisingly good as fretless (probably would need a preamp though)

maybe 600 could get you a barebones warmoth bass. it'd probably end up costing more than the MIM jazz setup, but itd probably be a better bass.

or the MIM + jretro + bridge is a great option.

7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    J-Retro is designed for passive pickups. No idea what is a pp3 battery, but if it's for J-Retro, it's the standard rectangular 9v battery.
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    $600 will buy you a very nice used G&L 2000 - far better than MIM Jazz, great bridge, doesn't need new pups and has a preamp built-in.
  9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i did the MIM fender jazz route...with the upgraded bridge and pickups...

REALLY wish i hadn't WASTED the friggin' $$$$$$$$$$$...

its crap.

i think i even preferred the stock pickups.

junk junk junk...sorry...i can say this..i own one.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

save and get an MTD or a SKYLINE.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    MIM Jazz.Should be able to find a used one fairly cheap,upgrade the bridge etc...and still have money left over.

I saw a MIM Jazz fretless(in new condition) in a store in downstate NY last week for $239.
  11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i guess looking back, i wish i didn't try the old "polishing a turd" routine (mim jazz).

i'll never get my $$$ out of it, and i can't stand playing it.

12. I'll take that Jazz off your hands, Fred.

What do you need for it? Just remember that it sucks!! Le tme know if you want to unload it.

13. Thanks for all the replies. The jazz sounds like a cool route to take, but so do all the others! I'm going to ride up to the Bass palace tomorrow and see what they've got going on down there. :D
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've never bought a Warmoth, but i think they would cost a bit more than $600, especially if you bought a body and neck with exotic woods, added on a badass bridge, preamp, pickups, pegs, control plate, knobs, pots, finish...

I think a warmoth would be closer to the $900-1500 range.
  15. Phunkjam:

You won't be sorry if you get a Jazz. It's amazing all the tones that you can get out of 'em. I just picked up my first one about two weeks ago, and I'm still amazrd by it!! They are sweet.

Good luck in your search. On the Bass Palace website they seem to have quite a lot of Jazzes in stock.
  16. No, not amazrd!! AMAZED!!