Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teacher in Atalanta

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by newdull, Aug 2, 2004.

1. newdull

newdull Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys,
    I have been playing EB for some time now, but I recently picked up a nice Azola from a fellow TBer, and am wanting to take some lessons.

I plan on using the Azola for gigs with singer/songwriter types, so some jazz stuff might help, but I don't think classical would apply.

We just moved to Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, so I pretty much starting my search from scatch.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I am in athens (not atlanta) so I cannot give you names, but I would say contact some luthiers (check your other thread, tom thoreson et. al.) as they should know some people. See if you can get in touch with the guys at the ASO (atlanta symphony orchestra) and see what they say.

If all else fails there are some great jazz players in athens I know and the school is big on orchestral performance (I am sure they could hook you up with a teacher).

Matt Wells

3. I was in about your position a little over a year ago and am an Atlanta resident (one day they may let me out!). I ran into a great young fellow in the hardware store when I was shopping for washtub bass parts. He is the orchestra director at Adamsville Middle School, conservatory trained, a bass player himself, and he gives private lessons for a reasonable price.

His name is Seth Gamba. I am serious;- that is his name. I took a few lessons from him and when I think I've gotten down what he was showing me during those lessons, I'll go back for more. I highly recommend him. He will get you far fast and with this instrument you must get some lessons or you might injure yourself trying to play it. I don't have his card handy, but I'm sure he's listed. He lives in Smyrna and has a rather unique name so you should have no trouble finding him. If you do have trouble, e-mail me and I'll search for his card, which I'm certain I have somewhere, just not at hand presently. :)

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    My teacher lives in Atlanta now and his name is Scott Smith. He is a fantastic teacher and great at classical and jazz. Look him up, you wont be disappointed. He is a great teacher and a great player.