Teacher in Chicago

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Dittersdorf87, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Dittersdorf87

Jan 23, 2005
    Chicago, Il
    Looking for a good classical teacher in Chicago any help would be great.
  2. ehdbl1

Apr 18, 2005
    St. Louis
    Hi Dittersdorf, I'd recommend Brad Opland, Michael Hovnanian, or Rob Kassinger (all members of CSO). If you want to learn more just buy a ticket to a CSO concert and sit in the front row right in front of the bass section. That's an education in itself. Good luck.

3. Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Hi, I study with Judith Hanna. She teaches at Illinois Wesleyan University, but lives in Oak Park, (that is only a few minutes from Chicago.) You can contact here through the IWU school of music. Lessons are given there or at her house.
    Her bio. is listed below.
    Phone: (309) 556-3061
  4. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    MF ? Is that good or bad?
  5. Sorry, I lost my head. I live in Denver where Rob spent some time. He knocked everybody out around here, not only in the classical genre, but was starting to take over the jazz bass playing scene....about that time, he got the Chicago job and, to all the bass players relief, left!
    I mean MF in the best possible way! He's a real killer!
  6. Dittersdorf87

Jan 23, 2005
    Chicago, Il
    Could anyine give me some info on the teaching styles of some of the teachers mentioned here?
  7. The University of Illinois bass professor Michael Cameron has a place in Chicago. You can contact him through the School's website. He's a former student of Murray Grodner who has a very direct and pragmatic approach to teaching and playing.
    I see you're in Long Island. I grew up in Port Jefferson and left over twenty years ago.
    Chicago's a good town. I've lived there too.
    Good luck!
  8. Now, I thought all students always wanted to study with the principal bass for all the "Power And Prestige" that comes by Princly association. What happened to everyone just blindly believing that the principal is the best player in any section? I'm pleasantly surprised.

You might have to switch to them red hot strings with some of those guys, but you'll always hear yourself and your bass will play very easily. And you may start asking classical questions in scat.
  9. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Don't kid yourself -- Joe Guastafeste, CSO principal, is a great player and a great teacher, though he typically has very few students at a time. However, I assume Mr. Guastafeste is nearing retirement, and it may be for that reason that people now entering conservatories are considering as teachers some of the players who might succeed him.