Teacher in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dhosek, Jul 9, 2000.

1. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any suggestions on a classically-oriented DB teacher in Chicago?

Background: I played bass from 3rd grade through to college, then had a 14 year period with only a BG to play (plus assorted other instruments, so it's not as if my overall musical chops atrophied). I've decided to work through Simandl from page 1 even though, e.g., whole notes on open strings is a bit behind where I can play now & I've found my copy of Sturm's studies for bass which I'll have to crack open tonight and add into my daily practice routine.

My goal is to be able to audition for one of the many semi-pro symphonies here in Chicago (e.g., Metropolis, Evanston, OPRF, etc.) when next year's audition season comes around.

What I need: First, the best teacher I can get for improving my classical technique. Second, someone who knows a bit about the scene and can let me know who to call when about auditions. Third, someone whose teaching situation will fit in well with my present car-less situation (e.g., either they come to my apartment for the lesson or I don't have to bring my bass to their studio for the lesson or they're within about half a mile of North and La Salle).

Celebrate national part time workers week this Monday, Wednesday and Friday

2. Hello:)im from Chicago.Im living in NYC now.there is one guy who i got some lessons from . he's a good classical player also one of the best jazz musician's i know.His name is Larry Gray.you also can look up steve Rodby i took some lessons with him also he's good at both also.You can find Larry Gray on the Staff at Depaul University.good luck:)