1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teacher in Santa Monica/Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by nostatic, Mar 2, 2013.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    So I bought a Shen SB190 today (pick it up next week) and would like to find a teacher, ideally in Santa Monica but anywhere in LA is possible. Have played upright in the past but was a long time ago and I didn't study that long. I gig regularly on electric and know the basics on upright but want to re-start correctly working with a teacher. Jazz/pizz though I'll want to work arco as well.

Looking forward to the SB190 - really liked it pre-setup.

2. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Putter Smith teaches out of Pasadena which is a bit of a drive, but well worth it IMHO..

3. I highly recommend Tim Emmons and David Young. David teaches through the Colburn School, Tim has his own website which should be easy to find. David is the principal of the LA Opera - doesn't play anything besides classical professionally but has been an enormous help to me with all kinds of music. Tim is an all-around studio/session player.
    Also Google Jennifer Leitham. I'm not sure where she's living now, but she's in L.A. a lot and also teaches via Skype.
    All three very nice people and outstanding players.

4. Jennifer Leitham is in the Pasadena area and teaches either in person or Skype. Excellent teacher! Lessons are structured to work on both arco and pizz.

5. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

John Clayton is THE cat to call in LA. He'll rock your world. He's just North of downtown LA. Adam Cohen is good too and he's closer to you, in Hollywood around 3rd and Fairfax.

6. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions. Darek Oles has popped up in my searches as well. I'll ping a few and get something percolating.

7. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    RE: Darek Oles
    Although I haven't studied with him, I have talked to him numerous times and seen him in clinics/performances and have been really impressed.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Adam would be a good choice. He wears a lot of musical hats. Upright. electric, composition. He understands the nuances of different Jazz styles and contemporary.

Tim Emmons is similar. He has all the technical as well as the stylistic understanding. And if you're serious, get a hold of me and I'll hook you up with Brian Bromberg, although, he's in the valley.

9. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I did a lesson with Tim this morning and it is a good fit. Turns out we actually have a few "small world" connections. Some interesting dot-connecting between how Tim views both db and electric and my studying with Ant Wellington on electric.

Now just need to practice and avoid having my pinky fall off :D