Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teacher in Western New York

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by FlawLaw, May 4, 2004.

1. Does anyone know of a teacher in Western New York? I live in Buffalo, so Rochester would be a drive. I have just started looking. I am presently going through the music store circuit and then will try the universities, but thought I would also see if there someone on the forums that may teach or know of a teacher to recommend.

Secondary question, do teachers generally require a student to haul their own bass to lessons?

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well I can't answer the first question, but I am from Buffalo and will be moving back there this year, so I am definitely interested in the answer as well!

In regards to your question, my bass teacher has a few basses. The only time I ever took my bass to a lesson was the first time so he could give me some setup advice. I don't know if that's the norm or the exception.

3. I'm in Rochester, so I'm lucky, but call Eastman anyway. They may have students who are graduating and from the area. That's how I found a teacher for when I go home this summer. They would probably also be able to find someone in your area who isn't one of theirs.

Also try Mr. Gollihur's luthier directory and see if any of them are closer to you than Rochester. I'm sure they would be able to help.

Good luck!

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Flaw,
    No straight answer for you, but either Mark Monaco (716) 691-4940 or Boyd Jacklin (716) 837-1684, your two area violin shops, should have teacher lists for you to check out.