Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teacher list? Teacher south bay?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bassfroggy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Hello,

I am new to this forum and eventhough I looked around I couldn't find a list of teachers.
    I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and would like to find a teacher south bay (San Jose, Palo Alto etc.)
    Any recommandations?

Sorry if this is not the right place for a message like this.

:hyper:

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    This should prob go in the misc category but I wouldn't know.

There has been mentions in the past that Seward McCain teaches out of Palo Alto or Redwood City or something like that. I don't know how to get a hold of him, but you might try calling the JazzSchool. Maybe they can get you hookd up.

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Bruce Moyer teaches out of his home(Saratoga) and Saratoga High School. He's a classical teacher, but if you're interested in really learning the instrument he's the way to go. I couldn't afford one of the other teacher mentioned in a the previous post. Bruce's rates are reasonable and he's very flexible. If you interested, pm me and I'll give you his number. He's the best music instructor I've ever had.

4. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Glen Richman teaches jazz DB in Alameda and also at the
    Jazz School in Berkeley. I was studying with him until 5 months ago.( I have tendonitis in the right elbow at the moment and dropped out for now.)
    510 523 5128.

Bruce Moyer is the man for classical DB. I also recommend him too and I bought one of my bows from him.
    408 269 8659 (he helped me pick out a bow that best
    suited my technique & bass within my budget.)

My bass repair folks also could recommend some instructors too if either Bruce or Glen are too busy.
    Hannah & Mike/ Bass House/ Oakland/ 510 382 0620.

Kai Eckhardht would be the man for EB. ( J. Mclaughlin, R. Towner). I used to study with him but dropped out to study
    DB. 510- 451 5149.
    Good luck

5. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004