Teacher or no Teacher?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkize you, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I was just asking what you guys thought...

I think I might try one out.

First off, I do know my Theory, I have played flute in Classic and Jazz bands for 12 years.

O.K. So my friend that got me into bass has only played for about three years, He knows just as much theory as me but he picked up the bass rather fast...

The First song he learned was Returnt To Forever's "Romantic Warrior" w/stanley Clark on bass. Now, he heard the song one time, then proceded to start the song over and play along Flawlessly, That was after Two months of playing...

Now, he can play EVERY Victor Wooten song with ease, Every song from Dream Theater.

He can literally play any piece of music (exept that one posted here "Pfft, I can play this")
    and He never took one lesson, he also told me that I dont need lessons, Every bassist is a little different it not like "Guitar" (Even though he and I know that guitarists are different)I am trying to find a good instructor w/good prices right now, it cant hurt to take a lesson or two, but he thinks its just a waste of money because he (and I) am picking it up fast, although I must admit he was farther ahead of me at his 9 month mark...

SO what do you think Lessons or No lessons.
    (Not for me, but In general are you Pro lessons or not?)
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think the fact that you asked the question you already know your answer, it will only help.
  3. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    This Post may help answer your question once you sift through some of the wisecracks.
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I wouldn't be 2% the player I am (which isn't that much) without the lessons that I took. Luckily I had a great teacher and practiced a lot through high school (more practice now, but no 1 on 1 lessons). It can only help you. Make sure you get a good one that you can get along with and will teach you well.
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think that you can pick up things by yourself that you can't by ear. Not only an ear for music, but say you bought a book or something, you would probably be better off figuring it out yourself.
    I don't think I would have got a teacher anyway, but they are expensive here.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Be very careful comparing yourself to your friend.
    Anyone who can play Stanley Clarke lines after one listen with just two months of playing bass obviously is a VERY talented individual and has an EXCEPTIONAL ear.

Even if you know about music, a few lessons on basic technical matters (posture, left and right hand techniques, etc.) can be useful. Certainly it's easier to pick up a new instrument if you already know how to play another.
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I would recommend checking it out.

Using an instructer can really expand you horizons. I have one, and I think he's made a dramatic difference in my playing. He's played bass for 26 years, guitar for 19. I really enjoy learning from him. It helps a lot.

In my view, having a teacher doesn't necessarily let you learn more. You will eventually figure everything out if you play for years and years. Having an instructor, though, helps you develope good technique and playing ability faster, much faster depending upon the teacher.
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    My friend is totally insany, He does that with most songs. He Figured out Havona and Jaco's Teen town That way also... He was in a band for awhile, the guitarist and the Keyboardist were equally good, The guitarist was insane, he can shread like crazy, the first song they preformed was "Voices" from Dream Theater.

I can listen to a song on flute and then play it no problem, but on bass I just look like an idiot...

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I suggest you record your brillant friend and compare what he plays to the original. Is he adding extra notes and lines? There are plenty of musicians that claim they can play anything by just hearing it once, but my experience is that they do it to a captive subject, and don't play note for note.

If you have the means, get an instructor. This could save you time with developing good technique and showmanship. Also, you can playalong with your favorite CD's or tapes and gradually work up your technical skills. I used to order "Guitar World" and would play some of those tabs, but there was a lot of useful information obtained from interviews and forums. So, don't put limit's on educating yourself.

10. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

Even though there's a plethora of resources available today for anyone with an Internet connection, I can't imagine *ever* being able to "come up to speed" on learning bass without a good teacher. And I should know..... I got back into this rather late in life (early 40's!).

Find a teacher...... spend the money. I can't see how you could ever regret it.