1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teacher Who Punched Student

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Does this teacher have a right to defend herself or did she go too far? What do you think fellas?

msnbc.com Video Player

2. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Good for her. Punk kids...

3. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I think everyone deserves to be punched in the face.

4. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    +1. I am a strong believer that everyone needs to be punched in the face at least once in their life. It builds character, and teaches you your place in the world. I do not condone walking done the street and cold-cocking someone, but I definitely think we (especially Americans), are raising self-indulgent wieners.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's ridiculous that the teacher was arrested. There is no other situation in America where a 64 year old woman would be arrested for defending herself after being cursed and pushed into a corner by a large young man.

I remember being a young substitute fresh out of college, and being challenged by students. I had to handle a few of them myself, but that was long ago in a pretty conservative state.

6. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    If I went home and told my parents that I wanted to call the police because my female, aging teacher, has hit me because I'd cussed her out and pushed her, my dad would do a whole lot worse to me than that teacher could. I reckon I'd still be in the hospital when she's retiring.

7. It seems obvious the kid had it coming, but you don't need to punch a kid in the face 2 times. Open the door, get a liaison officer and have the child handcuffed, even just pushing the kid away is better than punching him twice for calling you mean names.

8. LIONFURY

LIONFURY Banned

Apr 26, 2011
    I don't blame her lol

9. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The teacher needs a promotion and a medal. Teachers have become babysitters. Many parents appear that they don't care, and think that the schools should raise their kids.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    She could have done that, but given the tight spot she was in, I think that second guessing her is unfair.

11. This is all in hindsight so I know how different the situation would be from her eyes. I still see better ways of handling this. I bet even the teacher thinks now she should've acted differently.

If she had followed protocols she wouldn't have lost her job, however unfairly she may have lost it, and this would be a nonstory.

12. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Doesn't look like he pushed her at all....looks like he is definitely in her face and personal space, and she's not backed up against a wall, she's backed up against a door, that I assume she knows how to open.

I do realize teachers go though loads of crap, but this one became the bully and went too far and IMO should be charged.

The rule in law is "who hit who first" for assault, and that would be her.

Even the other students are defending the student saying "he did not push you!"

If he did push her...she could have easily exited, and had the student expelled and possibly charged/reprimanded.

I gotta side with the student with the evidence presented as per the video.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That said, the kid needed to get slugged and slugged hard. The mentality of kids almost taunting teachers saying "you can't hit me, you can't touch me," is not going to lead to anything but an eventual beat down by the police.

14. TC424

TC424

Jun 24, 2010
    Holtwood, PA
    The first punch was a glancing blow. The second punch, now that was a solid landing. The woman is 63-64 years old and the "kid" is a foot taller than her. He also allegedly pushed her with his body. I don't fault her at all. I believe she was threatened. Now if she knocked the kid out, jumped on top of him and started slamming his head on the floor that would be over the top.

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yet another sign we fail as a society.

Kids are not princes, princesses, etc.

They need to know what limits are and what is reasonably expected in the normal world and know there are real consequences for their actions.

16. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Why did someone just happen to be filming at that particular moment? The teacher was set up. Whoever had their phone out knew in advance that something was about to happen.

17. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    "Became the bully"?! Seriously? Wow.

According to the interview, the video captured the second time he approached her. The first time, he made physical contact with her. I have no problem whatsoever with what the teacher did to defend herself, and I think that serious discipline needs to be meted out to the student.

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    That is how I see it too. Kids are well aware, nowadays, that they can get away by playing victim to things they obviously set up.

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Kids have their cell phones in hand in school. Sad really.

They probably started arguing and out of the pocket and hit a single button to record. Took all of about 5 seconds I would imagine if that.

20. I dont blame her but i dont think punching him was the right thing to do!
    I agree she shouldnt loose her job and the kid was looking for it! I also imagine it must be hard for a teacher to deal with this kind of crap day in day out but still i dont think violence is the answer unless your being hit first!
    Even more so if your a teacher!