Teacher with schooling or experience?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jason Dude, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Jason Dude

Jason Dude

Feb 15, 2005
    First sorry for any BAD misspelling I am not fluent in english as much as I would like to be,I'll try my best(gets the dictionary)
    I have kinda of a dillema.I have an option between 2 bass teachers.1st is a really cool guy who has been playing music for almost 40 years and bass for 25 years,he has some classical education on piano and he is a very respectfull studio musican in the region.I kinda leen towards this guy.
    The 2nd one is also great bassist who has a Berklee degree and plays some great bass but I really dont know if he is an ok guy which is REALLY important to me.He's done some great studio work and playes for around 10-15 years of experience.
    What are your thoughts on this.Thanks
  2. Hey Jason,

I think it really depends on what you expect to get out of each teacher.

If you are looking for a teacher to get basic lessons like technique and theory, either one will be more than qualified. Go with the one that you are more comfortable with. The teacher, student relationship is important.

If the lessons you seek are more advanced like trying to learn a different style of music, or something more advanced in theory, go with the teacher that has the experience in that subject.
  3. I'd go for the first guy b/c a) You have a student/Teacher relationship that by your thread seems to hit it off and b) You can't beat experience but beware if you become good friends with the first guy too much your education might become too laid back but I doubt it by his experience ,but no offence to the second guy but if you wan't try them both and see which one seems to your liking.
    But you're on the right track lessons are valuable no matter who it is