1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

teachers and pros help needed:Playing position?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lowstrung, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lowstrung

lowstrung

Jan 2, 2006
    Athens, Greece
    Hi..
    I'm gonna give some entry level lessons to my 12 years old daughter and I want to ask the pros and teachers what is the proper playing bass position for a child.How she should hung the bass from the shoulder, how low or high the belt should be? What is the proper position when she is studying, standing or sitting?

2. fmoore60

fmoore60

Jun 11, 2008
    Jonestown, PA
    Get a teacher, your child will not listen. I have played for 30 years recorded and toured, my wife played principle Flute with a symphony and still we had to get a Drum teacher becuase we probobly don't know what we are talking about. CHILDREN!!!
    For your daughter sitting, make sure you hve a short scale neck, she won't get frustrated with the reach.

3. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    HA HA! So true! They don't just resist parental guidance with music though, with ALL things in life.

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    +1
    Unless you're a player and teacher yourself you won't ever completely understand the advice you get here regarding position. A few words over the internet isn't going to convey 35 years of thinking about and practicing position. I've found a mirror useful but she'll have to care about position a great deal to practice in front of one.....you can tell her to do it but you can't make her see. That's why she needs a teacher

5. lowstrung

lowstrung

Jan 2, 2006
    Athens, Greece
    Thank you all for the reply and the advice..
    Get a teacher..it is still my main thought and you all simply validated.

6. I learned most of my music theory from my father, who was a pro for many years.

Let me then state, that i probably didnt learn as fast as i could have had i not been so focused on impressing my father. As years went on, my playing has surpassed his (IN HIS WORDS! haha) but he still has the lion's share of theory out of us two.