Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers, How did you get your students?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, Jun 16, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    How did you get your students? Was it ad's in the yellow pages, word of mouth etc. I really would like to know.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Easiest way to do it is to be the house teacher for a local music store. They take a healthy cut, but anyone who walks through the door that wants bass lessons gets taught by me. It's a fair comprimise.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Word of mouth. I get alot of my students from church, then I get their friends because the friends are impressed by how well my students play and how quickly they become good.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

4. Another one for being the teacher at a music store. Whenver someone wants lessons i get a new student.

5. Im also not a teacher, but when i wanted lessons I talked to the music store where I buy my equipment, and they recomended a teacher and gave me one of his cards. It might be good to talk to the music store you deal with and ask them if they would be willing to direct some students your way, give the store a bit of your backgroud with music experience and qualifacations maybe your style of music, get some cards printed up. Also if you spend some money with the store they would probably be more interested in sending some students out your way, And when you talk to the music store mention to them that you would also direct students down to the music store when they are looking for new equipment, it might also be helpful to offer to students, that you would be willing to take them to the store and help them select or give input on a Item they were looking at. I think the music store would be more willing to do a bit of give and take, and majority of music stores I think relize that if they can get new students in... or new to music, chances are they will come back for other purchases, same thing as cigarette and beer company's do.

Im not a teacher, but these are a few things that I went through and questions I asked when I was looking for a teacher.

Good Luck,

PS Another reason I chose one of the teachers I did, was that he was flexable with my lessons (regarding days, and times) Im on the road a fair bit for work so it was nice to be able to phone him up and have him fit me in when it suited, It didnt work all the time but majority of the time it worked out.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive tried gettin a job teaching at the local music store. Not a one is hiring any more teachers or employees. They've also been pulling down my ad's looking for students telling me that it takes away business from them.

Thats how I got the handful of students I had Chris. I lost all but one of them because I submit a bill to one for a no call no show. Word of that got around, so the other parents pulled the students from me, (thinking it's unethical, and unchristian like to take money for something you didnt do.) Now nobody at that church will even approach me now. They all go to another guy there who gives free lessons, but doesnt exactly teach them well IMHO. (He doesnt teach the major scale, so thats why I say he doesnt teach them well.)

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

That sucks, Cass. I'm lucky that I don't have anyone offering free lessons. I've told everyone that I have a one no show policy. I really don't mind kids that don't show because they're sick or whatever if they call. I teach at home, so I just use the time for myself, or some one else gets an extra long lesson. I only teach one night a week, so I have a waiting list. My students know if they start missing lessons on a regular basis that I'll replace them with someone who won't. I did the teaching every night of the week thing, and I won't do that again. I never felt like I connected with the students. Now, with only a few students, they get more attention and I have more time to prepare before lessons.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    For the most part, Im pretty cool about a no show if its for a good reason or doesnt happen very often. It was like the 5th time they pulled it with me, so I finally billed them. Even warned them several times too that I was going to start billing for anything less than 24 hours cancellation. I even gave them longer lessons than scheduled, would go over on my free time to work with them free of charge because the family was friends of mine. But I get repaid with a boot in the butt and a tainted name at the church.

9. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    That seems like a very un-churchlike attitude for your customers to have. Did these guys forget the Golden Rule or something?

10. The "He who has the gold makes the rules." rule?

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I can somewhat understand their reasoning for pulling their kids. I wouldnt want to pay for something that was never done. If you knew the church or most churches, you'd actually see that its not very un-churchlike at all.

12. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I could understand if it happened a few times, but after the 5th time it becomes an issue of selfishness and disrespect on their part(hence my comment).

I am sure they would not appreciate it if they showed up for work 5 days in a row and their boss said, "Sorry, there's no work for you today. Go home and wait until I need you. Good luck paying your bills."

13. Another good reason not to go to church, IMO.

Every teacher I considered had a no-show policy whereby you agreed to pay if you didn't give notice within some specific time period. The teachers are not doing it for fun (although hopefully they do enjoy it); they're doing it to make a living, and if people just don't show up, their income is compromised. It's a business relationship.

So the attitude of the people at your church is that they don't have to respect your time? I don't get it. Your post sounds like a slam on the people in your church, but I can't tell if that was your intent. Perhaps you should talk to the pastor (or minister, or whatever) and bring up the issue of how you're being slandered. If he/she just reinforces the negative attitude the congregation seems to hold, maybe you should look for a new church. I'm not being glib; it sounds like your church may be off the track if that sort of thing is condoned or tolerated.

Anyway, if that's their attitude, you're better off without them as students - it sounds like you'd be very uncertain about your income even if you had what looked like enough students.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    All but one of my students were referred to me by other musicians. One found me on the web.

15. How do you teach anyone to play any instrument with out the major scale???? I only ever had one lesson in my life (from my dad) and it was the major scale! I say find yourself a new church where the people don’t have such ridiculous hang-ups!

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    These days I don't have any, because I haven't been putting in the time and effort to find any.

Word of mouth and ads on the net worked best in the past.

With regard to the no-call/no-show situation, I think you were far too kind in letting the guy get away with it five times. I would have warned the guy after the first time and dropped him after the second.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

As ridiculous as it sounds not to teach it, it is possable to teach scales without teaching the major scale. Most western music uses the pentatonic scale and is usually minor IME

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I agree with you TJ. I was way to nice. I did also give subtile warnings that it was going to happen. They just didnt take heed. In the long run, Im glad those 2 particular kids are gone. They seldom did what I told them to.

On a brighter side, I have to meet with someone on Tuesday for lessons. He's wanting to learn how to make scales into music. Should be interesting.

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    My teacher got me with an astro van and candy.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not here. The store assumes you will be bringing a host of students with you.
    That way, it's Win-Win for the store.

Exception to the rule-
    If a teacher is leaving & recommends you as the replacement...then you assume most of his old students in one swoop.