Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by didj, Jun 22, 2005.

1. didj

didj

Sep 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Anyone have a recommendation for a teacher in LA? I'm a beginner on DB, who has read all the teacher threads and believed them.

Thanks

2. didj

didj

Sep 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That's funny, I thought I'd get a response since there are 253,944,358 posts recommending a teacher.

Maybe if I rephrase the question...

Does anyone know any db teachers in LA?

Thanks

3. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There are many. Kristin Korb, John Clayton, etc. I got a list of teachers from Lisa Gass at LA Bassworks. I'm sure the other LA luthiers can give similar information. I sent an email to John Clayton and he refered me to a local teacher. I'm just courious, what type of music and technique are you interested in? Jazz, Classical, Latin, Blue Grass, etc?

Also, try www.basslessons.com.

Cleveland

4. didj

didj

Sep 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Klelewon, I'll contact someone at LA Bassworks since it's close by. I've been playing electric bass for almost 10 years and have played all of those styles, adding swing, big band, pop, showtunes, funk... pretty much any music that comes along that I like, I learn it. As for how that translates to an approach to playing DB, I have no idea. I'm not interested in being a soloist or superstar. I just like low notes.

5. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Your welcome and good luck. BTW, I think LA Bassworks moved to a new location on June 1st.

Cleveland

6. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I'd try Darek Oles if you are interested in Jazz. He is not only a great teacher and player but he is a generous and kind person. He has a deep sense of the music and how to impart its secrets.
    I think he is still in Pasadena. He teaches at Cal Arts and out of his home.
    Peter Rofe is a great teacher too for classical and technique. John Clayton is one of the most sought after teachers in So Cal. If you can study with him you'd be really busy. Putter smith has a lot to offer too. He plays with the great pianist Alan Broadbent.

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are many - as has been suggested. My teacher is in Passadena, and is worth travelling a ways for. He's also on this board now and again.

You can email or PM him through TalkBass as "Jeff Novack" (which of course is his real name too).

Edit: just to add - one of the reasons I chose Jeff was that he also plays and teaches electric bass. I was a long-time electric player transitioning to DB, and wanted someone who could relate to both, which sounds similar to your situation.

Good luck,

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Look up Tom Warrington. I'm not sure if he teaches, but he a bad dude. And hilarious to boot.

9. I have a friend who studied with Luther Hughes. He think he is still an adjunct faculty at UC Long Beach and Cal State Fullerton. Luther has a web site,try the Google to find it. He is a great player/teacher and was with Gene Harris for years before he passed. Fredrick Charlton is in Santa Ana,and I think he has a web site as well, he is really great!. Lemur Music can also give you some names on teachers,ask for Jerry.

Good luck

10. didj

didj

Sep 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm very excited, my new db arrived this morning so the teacher search is in full swing.

Thanks again all.

11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    David Young (LA Opera Orch) is also a great teacher. He plays Rabbath style and is also very good with beginning students.