Teachers in Melbourne Australia

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bassplayer48, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,
    i'm looking to get into playing DB been playing Bg for many years but really love that DB sound can nayone recomend any good teachers in the Melbourne Metro area?

2. Hi,

i'm in Perth so I dont know specifically, but you might want to check out if there's an academy of performing arts similar to WAAPA ( WA academy of performing arts ) in Melbourne because they'd know.

Otherwise check out benedictgpuglisi.com. He's a luthier based in Hawthorn and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Stew
    is to a melbourne luthier

3. Hey, I'm in Melbourne at the moment... double bass student at Monash uni. It would depend on what style of music you want to play... there are HEAPS of teachers around for both classical and jazz. My personal recommendations?

Jazz only - Simon Starr...
    Classical only- Andrew Moon...
    Not sure, or both - Anita Hustas... (also one of the few proper rabbath teachers around australia as far as I know)

I've learnt off both Simon and Anita, after coming from electric bass after 7 years. Both are great teachers.. I have friends who have learnt off Andrew and he has a very good reputation as a teacher, and is an amazing player (and is assistant princple with melbourne symphony orchestra)

Cheers and good luck!

4. thanks fingerstyle, i'm interested in playing jazz blues and roots music, i'll check those 3 out. Also what sort of price would i expect to pay for a decent DB?

5. apologies for the late reply... im really not able to give out their contact details over the net, so you'll have to do some searching, but yeah.

in melbourne, you can a fairly decent bass for about 3500, if you have that much. but you can get away with 2000-2500. but that said, ONLY go to ben puglisi's bass store in hawthorne. he really is the only one around that will give you a good bass with a good setup at a good price.

from here... id email or ring up Ben Puglisi, for contact detaisl go here... http://www.benedictgpuglisi.com/ and tell him you want to play double bass, what style, and that you might like some help finding a teacher and he'll sort you out.

good luck with it!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021