Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in Nashville

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by DrewBud, Jun 11, 2005.

1. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good teachers in Nashville. I'd like to study Jazz primarily with a good bit of classical. I also play with a German bow if that helps :)

I'm pretty new to the city so I don't know many people here.

Thanks everyone.

2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hello,

I can recommend a fantastic teacher for arco/German bow. His name is Joel Reist and he's currently the principal bassist with the Nashville Symphony. Joel doen't really teach jazz though, although he appreciates other types of music besides classical.

For jazz, I'd recommend Alana Rocklin, who plays with Jeff Coffin and others. She is a French bow player however. Roger Spencer at the Nashville Jazz Workshop is also a very good teacher and could probably recommend other teachers as well. Jim Ferguson is a good teacher and also does repair and setup.

Email me : RSK1957@aol.com and I'll give you some phone #'s.

Bobby

3. You also have Dustin Williams who is also an excellent luthier. Have you visited his shop on Music Row?

Ike Harris, who hangs out around here pretty regularly, also offers DB lessons.

4. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Thanks for the great information. I had already found Jim Ferguson and have e-mailed with him a few times. We're going to try and hook up in the next week or so.

I haven't had a chance to go to Dustin Williams shop yet. I just got my acoustic back after 7 years last weekend so it's on my list of things to do.

Thanks again :)

5. I was gonna suggest Jim...he's a MF..er. At least jazz wise. One of his mentors was the great jazz bassist Red Mitchell.
    I hear he's an excellent luthier as well.
    Seems that town is full of bassist/luthiers.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jim's the greatest guy as well.

7. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Thanks Paul and Ed for the votes for Jim. That's a great recommendation coming from both of you. I spoke with him yesterday and have my first lesson scheduled for Monday evening :)

I can't tell you how excited I am to have my baby back after all these years.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    mmmm, baby back.....

9. Burritos?

10. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    You can go to www.thetalkbasses.com and listen to one of his pieces, the mp3 player is at bottom left. He was nice enough to let me use that tune on the site, it's perfect for it ("Not Just Another Pretty Bass"). I believe he was also a judge at this year's ISB convention.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Well, I was going for ribs, but to each his own...

12. :D Ta Da!

Jim's playing is very Red-like....his choice of tunes on his recordings are great. Soulful singer.... He's an Alec Wilder fan.
    Ed, are you hip to that tune he does of Wilders 'South To a Warmer Place' ? Nice.
    Also Hoagy Carmichael's 'I Get Along Without You Very Well'

Sorry for the OT...it's amazing that Jim does all this stuff and is also a luthier. Also, he used to sing back-up for some hot-shot Nashville singer.

13. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    So I had my first lesson with Jim last night and you guys were right...he's a great player and a very nice guy!!

He also found a place where the seams had popped so he's taking care of that for me :)

Paul, being the resident Red expert I wanted to ask you a question. I've looked through the various posts about him and haven't really been able to find a concise answer to this question. What tune (or tunes) or Albums that Red played on would you recommend for transcribing (my transcribing cops are pretty weak so I'm looking for something fairly simple)? I was advised to start with a player like Red as his playing is very melodic.

14. Glad it worked out for you with Jim, Drew.
    As for Red transcribing...i've never transcribed a lick in my life.
    I'm self taught and am not even capable of it. I did, however learn to play the bass with the help of Red. I copped most of his lines and solos off of the Hampton Hawes Trio series on Contemporary. You might try those.
    Hopefully Ed Fuqua will chime in with more ideas for you. One thing that could possibly throw a wrench in the works for begining transcribers is Red's constant use of left-hand triplets, down-slurs and slides. As far as that goes, Jim should be a big help with that, since he is such a Red nut and they were great friends! He talks about his relationship with Red in the liner-notes of his first recording. Also, some nice pictures of he and Red on his web-site.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    You prolly do want to stick with recordings BEFORE he went to 5ths tuning, in addition to the Hampton Hawes stuff (all of which is great) Red's got some records with Harold Land, and some records with Jimmy Raney.

You got a great teacher and you definitely should follow their advice, you might want to ask Jim how he would feel about transcribing some Pres solos as well as Red.

16. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Thanks Paul and Ed for the advice. It's very much appreciated! :):):)