Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in North West New Jersey

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Tattoo, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Tattoo

Tattoo

Sep 29, 2003
    Layton New Jersey
    :) Hi all!

I am looking for a teacher in the NW corner of NJ. There is one about an hour and a half away in PA, but was wondering if anyone knew of anyone closer to home?

Any ideas of where to look, or lists of teachers in the PA/NJ/NY corner area?

Also, how does one transport a UB? I've got an F350 Crew Cab, with a cap available, but just a bag to put it in. How do you all do it? What kind of vehicles? Do I need a trailer...hahah...it is a big intrument, that is for sure. My husband is learning to play the mandolin...tiny little thing, so transport is not really an issue. He even made a waterproof case out of a Pelican travel case so he could carry it on his motorcycle. I know there is no way to bring my UB on my bike, but I was curious as to how others travelled with theirs. Strap it down, front seat with seat belt?

So far all I've been practicing is the C Chord, and it sounds like from reading the newbie links and newbie posts (I'm a newbie), that it takes time, but once you learn stuff, whatever works goes... we got an old Kay, from the early 50's I think, so it is something I want to be careful with, yet not feel so crazy that I can't take it out of the house...

Any Blue Grass thumpers out there have any quick tips for what to learn first?

Thanks for any input....

2. Try calling Sussex County College, see if they have a music department. Someone there may know somebody. Also, the Port Jervis school system must have a music department.

3. Tattoo

Tattoo

Sep 29, 2003
    Layton New Jersey
    Hi Don!

Thanks for the ideas! Good place to start, and SCCC is just right down the road from us.

About my second question, how do you move your UB around?

Thanks again for your time.

Tiffany

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If your front passenger seat folds down (for napping, or whatever), you can put the bass in neck first, prop the neck in the back and the body on the seat. Put the seat belt on it for good measure.

5. This is exactly how I transport my bass in my 95 Taurus. My bass has the added protection of passenger-side airbag!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Give Sussex County Music on RT 23 in Sussex a call. The owner is a jazz drummer and might have a few leads.

(I was raised in Ogdensburg & graduated Wallkill Valley RHS. I've been 'down the shore' for the last 11 years now)

7. Tattoo

Tattoo

Sep 29, 2003
    Layton New Jersey
    Hi Gang! Thanks for the tips...there is a shing dig this Sunday in East Stroudsburg, PA-just across the river, and I definitely wanted to take the UB out. Not that I can play it yet, but just to get a practiced eye on it.

Appreciate the feedback...this world is smaller than we think!

We're not far from Ogdensburg, but my hubby is from here...I'm a Cali-fornee-ahh transplant...:oops:)

Thanks again Speddling, we'll defintely look that music place up on 23! Love the cat pic.

Glad to hear your UB gets an airbag Mike...good idea. So thoughtful of the manufacturers to put them in for instruments! :oops:)

Take care all and thanks again!