teachers in Pittsburgh, PA?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Funky Dung, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Funky Dung

Funky Dung

Mar 25, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I started playing about 2 weeks ago. I'm picking things up nicely (at least I like to think so), but I think I need an instructor. I've read a lot of posts advising techers for beginners. Some are just gereal suggestions. Others are regretful veterans who wish they'd have a teacher when they started. I don't want to teach myself bad habits. This is my first intrument and I don't want to screw up.

Does anybody know of any good bass guitar teachers in Pittsburgh, PA?

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Funky Dung

Funky Dung

Mar 25, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I guess I should have used spell check. Note to self: get a decent night's sleep before posting.

3. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Don't know if he teaches, but Randy Venturini, who's now playing with Crisis Car, is a very talented player who's done a lot of different kinds of projects. Look him up and see if he'd be willing. Short of that, I'd call Hollowood and Pianos 'N Stuff and see who their instructors are, or if they know of anyone giving private lessons. Good luck.
  4. Hey, you're from the 'Burgh also! Cool! You should call up Hollowoods or Volkweins (there's two of them I believe, one in Robinson township and I don't know where the other is) and get some info about lessons. I used to take piano lessons at Hollowoods, but I don't know if the bass instructors are any good...or if there's just a guitarist teaching bass.
  5. Geez, Randy Venturini, I haven't heard that name in years, we used to go to Duquesne together. I don't know if he is much into the teaching gig, but I heartily recommend the guy we both studied with, Jeff Mangone.Or maybe just check around the university, you might find some starving Graduate assistant bassist who would teach a beginner for cheap.
  6. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Hey guys, Glad to hear from some PA players. I'm from Altoona. About an hour and a half east of you.

You'll have to let me know if your playing over this way!
  7. Hey! I'm probably like 5 1/2 years late, but if you need a teacher, I study with Mangone and will teach for fairly cheap if your budget is tight. I'm right in the city at Duquesne U.