Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in Portland?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Nov 28, 2000.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Can anyone recommend a good teacher in Portland? I am looking for someone who can school me a bit in jazz theory and (obviously) technique, someone who has some progressive influences, if that makes any sense.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Portland Maine?? Or Portland Oregon??

3. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oregon, sorry. The only guys I know of that give lessons are Dan Presley and Glenn Moore...

4. Glen Moore is great but since you're looking for teachers you haven't heard of Dan Schulte is excellent as well. In fact for a beginner Dan is probably a little better. He's pretty hardcore about the fundamentals. Glen is inspirational and has a lot to offer but it's for the more advanced player. Give me a holler if you'd like Dan's number.

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Glen gives lessons? Damn, I wish I lived in Portland. I first heard him on the first King & Moore album (I think that both are now out of print, but well worth digging up) and summer of 92 I got to see them perform at an art gallery when I was in Portland for a conference. I love his playing.

6. I was just at the Mt. Hood jazz festival at mt hood community college, and one of the clinicians was glen moore(i think), he was tearin it up, and hes a pretty nice guy..you should go talk to him.

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im gonna be movin to portland in two years, heard the scenes pretty cool.My fiance's family is from there , she really wants to go.
    Im gonna bet there the 4 of july for a week any body got a gig I could hit, say ''HI''
    Andrew

8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I have decided I don't need a teacher and I am just going to continue to teach myself. JUST KIDDING.

9. Glenn is busy but I think he's pretty open to new students. He's a good teacher and an incredibly nice guy. He goes on tour every once in awhile and can be gone for a month or so. He was in France for most of the winter studying with Rabbath so the lessons weren't happening. But if you're in Portland (or anywhere near by) give him a ring and schedule a lesson. If you don't like it, don't go back.

One thing I didn't mention is that Glenn is an amazing player and he's definitely a practicer (is that a word?). His approach to the instrument is inspiring. The lessons are worth it just to hang with him and talk about the bass.

10. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago
    Dave Captein teaches in Portland and would be well worth checking out. Really good guy and one heck of a player. http://www.davecaptein.com/

11. Dan Waineo

Dan Waineo

Jun 14, 2015
    I've been taking lessons from David Friesen for a couple of years now. He lives in NW Portland. I recommend him very highly.

Edit: I just saw this is a pretty old thread

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016