Teachers in SF peninsula area?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Angus, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This really isn't what this section is for, and I've done searches for about the last 30 minutes in hopes of finding the answer, but couldn't find anything for the life of me.

I'm hoping there are maybe some locals reading this that would know somebody?

I've been trying to find a teacher in the area (I'm living in Palo Alto, but will drive), and have had absolutely no luck. I've only found one, at a local music store, but he only does 30 minute lessons every two weeks, where I'm accustomed to 2x 1hr per week minimum. He also said he would "tab out any songs I'd like to learn to play". Thanks, NEXT.

I've otherwise been completely unsuccessful. The music department here has nothing for me, nor any contacts, so even though they generally offer lessons to music majors/minors, they've got nothing for me. My previous mentor moved away when I went off to college (few years back), otherwise I would just fly home periodically and have serious woodshedding weekends!!

I'm pretty desperate, at this point. It's been about 2.5 years since I've had any lessons, and it's getting stagnant. As self-motivated I am, it never seems to be enough to keep rate of improvement steady enough. :rollno:

I've talked to a few local musicians, including a few on this site, but none have gotten back to me...in like two weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Have you tried Craigslist? If you lived a little more north (I'm in the north bay area) I could hook you up with a good teacher...

Or you could see about getting lessons with Michael Manring, he lives in SF, right?

I know it's a bit of a drive, but maybe get involved with Berkeley music school or SF state for lessons?

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Does Manring give lessons? I'd sign up for that in an instant.

Who's the teacher more up north? I don't mind a drive- I drive up to Sonoma every single weekend anyway, so the drive isn't such a problem. If the quality of instruction is worth it, it's no problem for me at all.

Thank you for the help!

4. MartDog

MartDog

Oct 27, 2006
    I second the craigslist thing. I found a guy named Jerry Mark on there. He's out of San Francisco. Nice guy and I plan on taking more lessons with him.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021