Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

teachers

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by chris griffiths, Sep 8, 2004.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    Hey steve and mike,

I just got out of berklee and moved to nashville. and I'm looking for bass teachers. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

chris

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    see if you can't run down Jim Ferguson.

www.jimfergusonmusic.com

If he's not taking students, I'm sure he knows someone who is.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    How about Roy Vogt? Great bassist and lovely guy, does a lot of sessions and stuff, and I think he's teaching... http://www.royvogt.com/index.html is his website - check him out!

Nashville should be a pretty easy place to find a teacher, given that there are far more great bassists there than there are gigs for great bassists, so a whole slew of them must be teaching... :)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    well. I'm looking to go in a pop R&B direction. now that doesn't mean I won't do classical or jazz or experimental stuff. but I want a teacher who teaches me things that I can apply on a gig. not "tricks." i'm looking for someone who's gonna be kind of a heavy weight and just kick my A$$ so that I have a chance in this town. I'll look up those two thanks for you help! :0
    c-

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I hope you’ll also consider looking up Dave Pomeroy, Chris. Dave’s a fantastic bassist and all-around great guy.

6. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Thanks Mike,

I actually contacted Bob Babbitt the other day. so hopefully that'll work out