teachin my self

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PunkO, Feb 9, 2001.

1. PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm trying to teach myself but i don't know where to start. Does any one have any suggestions or ideas that will help me out playin. The type of music that i want to play is punk so please help >8^(
  2. Learn scales. Learn a pick if you have to, but learn to play with fingers too.
  3. i am pretty much self taught, i would also go with scales.
    i played bass for about three months and was getting nowhere fast then i took a lesson with this guy and he showed me a major scale and i improved quickly. its nice to know as much theory as possible, there is a ton on this site and there are so many books now that there is no excuse for lack of theory.

good luck
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Punko, After a couple of halfhearted attempts ay learning theory, I've decided to give it one more all out effort.

I found that, for me at least, The very first step has been to learn the notes on the fingerboard. Everything that I've attempted to learn so far depends on my knowing the notes without having to figure out where the notes are on the fingerboard.

I am seeing steady improvement by using a fingerboard diagram and sort of throwing mental darts at it. Kind of like closing your eyes and putting a finger or pencil point on the diagram,opening my eyes and see how fast I can "name that note".

I remember telling my electronics instructor once that I didn't have enough time in my day to do as much studying as I would like. His suggestion was to make sure that I had some study material in the bathroom at all times. That's at least a few minutes a day that can do double duty. Believe it or not, that few minutes a day on a regular schedule yielded more results than trying to cram for each test.

I'm talking about skull practice in the bathroom, now. If you start carrying your bass to the bathroom, you probably are gonna get some funny looks from the family.:)

There are a couple of theory threads going on now that I'll bet would help you get started. Gard has been kind enough to post a super thread on the circle of fifths. He's even fielding questions. Now that's as close as it gets to having a private tutor. Chris has a good thread down on DB forum thats slanted toward new players. Just one bit of advice though. If you go down there looking for help, BE SERIOUS. It's not that the DB'ers don't have a sense of humor (as proven by the Goth Barbie thread), it's just that they don't tend to mix much foolishness with the serious side of music. Keep in mind that the theory for DB is the same theory that pertains to bass guitar.

Good luck. You are not alone in the boat.

5. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been playing since May 2000. I am teaching myself as well. There are some sites on the net with some scales and stuff.

I am learning thru the techniques of others. Meaning, I play along to CDs, TV and radio. I also just plug it in and pluck around. Trying to learn all the sounds on the fretboard.

I am planning taking some lessons in the very near future though.
  6. elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    Hey PunkO, I'm also self-taught, and i think the three most important things are 1. don't give up (playing will get easier over time and with practice), 2. learn the notes on the fretboard and 3. find people to jam with (you'll learn about how to play music with other people and maybe make some new friends in the process).

good luck.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am self taught, have been playing for 20 years, but over the last 2 months I have immersed myself in theory, with the help of this board, and people I know on the net.

I believe that knowledge of the circle of fifths, and knowledge of scales, is critical.

I already knew the circle of fifths, but I bought this new book called The Chord Wheel, which is the circle of fifths taken to a whole new level.

It has the circle of fifths on the cover, with a rotating template that lets you select the key you want, and it shows the key signature, II, ii, III, iii, IV, V, vi and vii chords for each key. It is one of the most helpful and easy to use theory tools I have ever seen. It has a short book inside with a quick start guide and how to use the wheel and the circle of fifths for composition, harmony, building melodies, etc.

Learning scales has really helped me a lot too. Really drilling myself on the modes right now, man, Phrygian has really given me some cool ideas for bass lines, and perhaps a couple of song ideas as well.

I just wish that I had more time to study theory.
  8. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Screw the scales, hook up with some of your buds and jam. That's the only way you will get better.

Scales?? I can't believe anybody would suggest that.
  9. Go to the local store and pick up a couple of books that have chord progressions, bass Line setc. Also pick up Bass Player Magazine and I Think it's Guitar World that has the bass lines in tab that will help a lot. Also there's a great book out on finger exercises. Or check all the great web pages out there. Welcome to the club and good Luck!
  10. smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I tought myself back in the day, too. I found scales and chord progressions were helpful. Jus try and play them super-fast.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Learn chords. Learn the major and minor scale so you know where chords come from and you understand keys. Keys tell you what chords will be used. Know your fretboard, where every note is on it. If you're just starting out, concentrate on the first twelve frets, 1 to 12 at first.

Maybe I'm wrong here and I will be told quickly if I am, but I don't think punk music is difficult. I mean on a continuum with jazz or classical. You won't be playing complex chords and won't have complex chord progressions, so you won't need advanced music theory to learn in order to play punk. By punk, do you mean Green Day, The Offspring, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols?

There is so much material based on the Internet that will help you, but one day consider taking a few lessons.

jason oldsted
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Try to take some lessons. I'm seft taught, playing for 10 yrs & I've picked up some BAD habbits on the way that I can break. If you take lessons for a month or so, I feel you will improve much better & the teacher will steer you clear of some BAD habbits you might pick up. Also, pratice & when you're done praticing, <B>PRATICE MORE</B>!!!