1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teaching a bass lesson with a guitar in hand is a good idea

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Earthday, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Just wanted to share that I took a few bass lessons recently with a teacher who taught with a guitar in his hand instead of a bass. Obviously that won't work with a beginner who needs to be shown technique, but I am technically sound and was taking the lesson for theory/musical reasons.

I learned a ton about chord inversions, how the bass can cause inversions in "normal" chords, and playing with diminished chords. It's all the type of stuff I had read about, and tried to play with in a band setting, but MAN it really hits home when I'm playing with a teacher who is explaining what's going on and it's nothing but my bass and his guitar - and he would keep playing until I stopped him so I had time to internalize the sounds we were making.

Just thought I would post this. Maybe you teachers out there should try a lesson like this, or you students should ask your teacher to use a piano or guitar.

2. A lot of people like to teach on piano's, and my bass teacher has urged me to try some of the stuff we've been working on on piano.

3. Going to try that. CD playing and jamm a bass line on the keyboard. With a digital recorder turned on. Now why did I not think of that........

4. ricca

ricca

Dec 24, 2009
    Reggio Emilia ITALY
    I teach bass from 15 years.
    I always use guitar or piano to show how harmony works and play along with my students to let them hear how bass lines works with chords.

5. I am a rather new bass player, and my teacher (who is teaching from a lead guitar perspective) uses his guitar all the time.

I'm finding it hard to learn bass basics. However, I have learned several things involving how a bass fits in behind a lead in and with drums in a band setting.

I've also learned fast on how to pick up root notes from watching the lead, when I get lost. :D

~r~

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020