Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teaching Beginners and Sibelius G7

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tactician, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Anyong have any ideas on what books are good for youngsters starting out on Bass. As a Bass teacher I find most of what's available is a bit dull from the students point of view (as they have to use music in the public domain to avoid copyright issues I guess). I have Bass students that are all between 13-16 so you know what I mean. I'm using Basix Bass at the moments - but all the other materials I have are like Hal Leonard MI level and I need to get them through these early stages before moving on to the more meaty / interesting stuff.

I'm working on the idea of writing my own materials and have just bought Sibelius G7 - a brilliant TAB/notation package especially for Bass, guitar and a whole lot of other instruments we all play along with. With this I could take the best bits of everything and create something unique for my own teaching style. (OK I know that I also must avaoid copyright issues but I can find workround for that.)

Teachers out there? Any ideas guys. Am I going to spend tooooo much time creating and not enough time earning?

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Tactician,

I understand you complaint about most beginning stuff being BORING.

I use this book regularly for rank beginners. (teenage)

http://64.227.204.122/books.html#anchorbassworkout

Most beginners play these songs with their fingers as opposed to slap. The real fun here is the play-alongs. Very simple lines and hard groove.

3. Thanks for that post - the link was really useful - I have only realised today that you are a player on the book/cd you directed me to - sneaky! The sound clips sound excellent. I am mostly dealing with teenagers and primary school (8-12 yrs old) students here in the UK. How do you think thees materials would fare with beginners - they look good - but what's your opinion. I use Rich Seversens books a lot (www.guitarcollege.com) but we agree these are more for students who have a least 6 months of playing first. Your's may well fall into the same situation and players need some of the basics before tackling more 'worthwhile' materials.

PS. I like the video clips - I have been working in this area at web conferences in Europe and encouraging web users to incorporate these sorts of simple techniques to get over ideas that can only work in video. Good to see you putting this into action.

4. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Tactician,

Thanks for you kind words.

It was not my intention to be "sneaky". (just view my profile)

I have been teaching and writing books and creating play-alongs for quite a while now. I like to help answer serious questions on this board and do not hesitate to promote my own materials when they are appropriate.

I do understand your concern for teaching beginners. It is impossible for me to outline here how I approach teaching a student who has never held and instrument, but I do that regularly.

I will briefly suggest how to use a couple of these books for beginners. (not 6 months experience)

SLAP BASS WORKOUT: This book is all about the CDs. The first group of songs use only the first three notes on the E string. Very simple and repetitive rhythms. i.e. quarters and eighths. Any new student can learn E,F,F#, and G (one finger per fret) with quarter notes. The goal here is to get the student playing in time with the CD by copying the players on the audio track. I recommend you do NOT use the written page to teach these basic fingerings and rhythms.

The next group of songs is the same but on the A string. Here the accompanying music is different so it sounds fresh. Do not try to teach slap at first as fingers are easier for a beginners.

While the songs on the CD do sound progressively more advanced the bass lines often are not progressively more difficult. I have made some of the more advanced sounding songs employ very simple bass lines that the beginner can play in a couple of lessons.

I guarantee that you and the student will enjoy practicing with this tool.

READING IN BASS CLEF: The technical requirements for the first batch of songs is the same as above. i.e. first 3 to 4 frets on low strings. If you want to teach reading, use the written page. If you want to teach technique, you read the music and have the student play along with you while not reading. You will be focusing on counting, hand posture, ear training (pitch matching). Play and repeat each example many times (at least 10) so the student memorizes each. Sort of a "Suzuki thing".

Sorry for being so long winded but you sound genuinely comitted to teaching and so am I.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I have a number of new video clips to be added soon.

5. That sounds good advice to me Jim; one copy sold. I'll order off the website.

Perhaps sneaky was the wrong word, I just had a wry smile as I recognised someone doing what I often do in these circumstances - if you really believe in what you do (as you and I do) - I see no harm in offering personalised help.

Thanks for the prompt reply Jim - may be I'll get over next year to the summer school. I have to organise four, one-day rock-schools for our local music festival this year - so I'd like to come over from the UK, learn some new stuff, AND see how you guys cope as well. Isn't plagerism sincere flattery? Or is it copyright infringement - ha ha!

6. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire