1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Teaching Lessons - How do I start?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Justin V, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm your basic broke college student looking for some spending money, so I figured I could try my hand at teaching bass to beginners and/or kids just starting out.

So how exactly do I go about getting my first student(s)? Do I put up flyers? Ask a guy at the local guitar shop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'd try hanging outside school gate's looking like the coolest rock star on the face of the planet. You're sure to get some attention.:eek:

Don't really!
    :p

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    ^^^ ***

But to the thread starter. Word of mouth is best, but put an ad in a musicians magazine, guitar store notice-board, or create a basic web site and post the link around some forums and stuff, ad in the high school notice-board or magazine, maybe even radio (could cost you though), and community notice-boards.

4. hi,

Don't know what it's like where you live, but where i'm from there are lots of these little 'music academys'.

I really don't agree with what a lot of them are doing ethically - they're usually owned by non musicians who don't really care about the quality of teachers they employ. The students are usually children. I'm sure they're not all like this as well - but from the some students that have come to me who have previously had lessons from these 'acadamy's', i get a feeling that they don't really have too stict of an employment criteria.

On the other hand, if there are any places like that around your area, then i'm sure you won't have any probs getting a job there! they usually pay fairly decently as well.. i've got some friends that teach at similar institutions, and the standard is half of what the student pays (most earn $20 - $30aus/hour).. and teaching beginners is a good place to start!

Mosty of my students (i teach privately) come from flyers i put up or an australian music teachers online website. I have also had success running an ad in the local music street press, and of course, word of mouth is a biggy!

good luck!

andy.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    1.) Look up "music lessons' in the phone book. Get in touch with the places that list and tell that you are looking to give lessons.
    2.) Go to any music stores that sell guitars, drums etc and post on a message board, most have them. Give your business card (they don't cost much to print up) to the manager.
    3.) Visit all High Schools in the area and talk to the music teacher about kids who might need lessons.

Face to face contact is best. If adults are going to reccommend you to kids, they will need to feel that you're honest and not a perv.

In some cases it might help to offer to play a little for them. Know what you are going to charge, and be ready to describe how you would teach various age and experience levels.