Teaching my little bro guitar...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SpankBass, Jul 27, 2002.

1. ...and I thought I'd get your guys' opinions on my lessons. Yeah yeah, I know, wrong octave, but this seemed more like it belonged in GI instead of misc.

I'm not really much of an expert, but I think I know enough to teach him the bare essentials. Here's what I taught him in my first lesson:

-The names and functions of the parts (nut, pickup, bridge, ect.)
    -Proper technique (holding pick, left hand placement on the neck, ect.)
    -What the guitar is tuned to.
    -How to make a power chord and two simple riffs that should start getting his soft girlie hands to be rough and manly. :D

Good first lesson? Well its too late for your advice on that now!

Second lesson
    -Intro to chords and scales. (I started off by showing him an Amin chord and explaining to him what makes up that chord which led into me teaching him what a scale is, the pattern of a scale, ect...do you guys think it was wise to jump around like that? I'm afraid of confusing him.)

Now do you guys think that I am jumping a bit far ahead of myself teachiong him chords/scales this early on? It feels like there should be something else I should teach him beforehand.

What would you guys suggest for my third lesson? I'm thinking I should stick to teaching him chords and scales and the such, and I also need to introduce him to time. I'm not too confident in teaching him standard notation, seeing as I can barely get by on the bass clef myself; I'll probably get an online lesson for him on that.

All right so possible third lesson:
    Teach him another chord or two, and have him play em in 4/4 or something. Maybe if I feel his hands/fingers are strong enough, I can have him try to back and forth between chords trying to keep time?

Thank you all for your suggestions.
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I think it is always best to give some success up front as early as possible to encourage the student.

Without telling him the song, take a band that he likes (or somthing popular and recognizable), pick an easy song with easy bar chords that you can just slide up and down, teach him the chords needed and how to transition between them. Once he's got that down, throw the CD on and tell him to play along. He'll realize that he's just learned to play a song. Not Hot Crossed Buns or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I learned You Relly Got Me by the Kinks when I was around 8 or so this way, thanks to my sister.

It taught me that, hey, this isn't so hard.

From that point, back up and get into the basics.
  3. Yes those were the 2 easy riffs I taught him. One of them was Nirvana's Come as you are and the other was Blink182's Damnit. Just as you said, they are those songs that will give him confidence when he is weighed down with all these chords and 3rds and minors and crap.
  4. he'll probably forget this if you dont keep reminding him. my bass teacher told me this a year ago when i started to play...and i honestly can say i dont know what the hell a nut is. oh and relaly get him to KNOW the notes. i coundt tell an F from a C if you paid me. I have it all written somewhere...but i'm so used to like fith fret A...etc. thats my advice from a very new bass player.
  5. Yeah he asks me sometimes what stuff is that he has forgotten. While I teach him scales I try to get him to remember what note is where, but I even get lost sometimes.

Ohh and the nut is the usually white piece of plastic or bone that the strings sit on at the top of the neck where the headstock and the fretboard meet.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    blind leading the blind, eh? ;)
  7. Hey! :mad:
    I'm not that bad! Look how well I can play Blink182....