Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teaching ones self...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kasuals, Jul 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasuals

kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    How many of you taught yourselves how to play? Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to learn from a master, or even a self-proclaimed professional.

A few years ago some guys and I were at a party I threw and we had some accoustic guitars. Both of them played regularly, and I messed around with them on occassion. I didn't know that one of them was a spoken word artist or writer, but we came up with 3 songs that night that really blew people away. 3 guitars were too many, we only needed a rhythm and a lead, and I had no intentions of touching a drum kit. I was kind of thrown into the roll of bassist that night. The next week I went out and bought a used Peavey Milestone for cheap and sat down with it. I had noone to really turn to to learn except 2 guitar players. Admittidly one had played bass off and on for a few years, but neither of them were really good at it. I learned to play from those two, and even to this day I have a touch of guitarist in my style.

I never got past finger picking or just standard picking, since neither of them really knew how to slap or tap or even pop properly. Do you think that this has cramped my bass playing ability? Should I scratch what I have learned and start over and take some lessons from a bassist? Or will this just add to my current style?

I've never really been able to talk to other bassists, even at our shows, mainly because I feel like an idiot. ;)

2. *beep *beep *beep (moving van backing up)
    "okay start loadin er up.

Welcome to Talk Bass kasuals. This thread will be moved soon, but not to worry it will be found again. Alot of people post in the wrong forums from time to time, don't worry about it. You will become more accustomed to the website quickly. Be careful when asking vague questions or whatnot and feel free to search for topics that may have been previously discussed, and if you don't find what you are looking for or feel that the results are outdated ask again. Someone will always answer your questions. Don't let some more experienced members make you feel inadequate. Most of them mean well even if they don't seem to.

As to an answer to this post, I really didn't have any help from anybody. The bass player at my church asked me if I wanted to learn and he showed me where the notes were on one string and I figured the rest out later. A few weeks later he left the church and I was the only person there to play the bass. I got most of the songs we played off the internet(chord structures only) and played roots for a while until I was sort of familiar with the fretboard. After a while I started experimenting with fills and runs. The old player has since returned and will hopefully be showing me some things, but he is in the hospital right now and hopefully sill be out soon.

Any way have fun here and enjoy Talking about Bass.

3. kasuals

kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry ;) Didn't even realize or think to look for an instructional forum. I appreciate it! :)

Well I don't feel quite as stupid then. That is basically how I learned to play. Maybe there is hope for me yet ;) Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.