teaching others

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ringworm4005, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Aloha,

I have a question many of you may be able to answer.

Recently a friend of mine purchased a second hand bass guitar out of pure curiousity and asked me to show her the basics. I've been playing for almost a year now and have the basics under control (I hope). I've agreed to comply with the request, but am not too sure how to begin explaining the basics to her. How should I start 'teaching'? Any specific things I should point out? What kind of exercises should I recommend, should I concentrate on technique or the feel of the instrument? I'm dying to hear what you guys/gals have as recommendations. I realize that learning from an educated pro is the way to go, but being students we're used to helping eachother,

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, I'm really good at teaching certain technical subjects, but I tried to teach a friend of mine a few fundamentals about playing bass, and I fairly sucked. I came to realize that a student without any musical knowledge isn't really able to understand what you're talking about. So one must first teach about time, keys, and all that stuff. I don't want to do that.

OK, that said, here's what I'd recommend to a newbie with no technical musical knowledge. You must first be able to sing, hum, whistle, or otherwise reproduce the notes you want to play. If you can't hear and copy the pitches and rythyms you want to play, you can't play them. If you can't do this, quit now.

OK, after you can sing the notes, sit down and find each note on the fretboard. Learn the whole song this way. After you can play it, do some more work to figure out the easiest place on the fretboard to play it. I've found that even things that sound hard usually aren't.

Simple as that.

3. im only 16, and iv been playing for 2 years. but i take lessons, and gives them. A couple of things that i do ( and my teacher did for me) are as followed.

On the first lesson a person ever has. we talk about a bass guitar. Point out the parts, what a neck is, a fret, even a string. Talk about everything. Then work on the hands. Work on how to my right right hand fingers be able to pick, and your left hand fingers be able to press on frets. you gotta make sure you get that covered before you teach them stuff, because you can know everything about bass and know every scale, arpeshio, ect, but if your cant pick and press on frets, then you cant do anything. After they are able to pick right there right hand ok with at least there pointer finger, then its time to teach music. dont worry about playing with both the pointer finger and middle finger togeater. For the begining, just there pointer finger is ok. There not gonna be playing fast crazy riffs in the begining anyways. Then id start doing exersizes liek this....

stuff like that, to make there hands strong and make there fingers be able to stratch out and stuff. While doing this, start with notes. show them what notes there playing with the 1234 thing. What i do it take some paper, draw a neck, and put all the notes in them. and if the studant doesent pick on it really fast, work one string at a time. It also helps to talk about root-octive. Because then they can find notes on strings useing the system as a G root and octive are both G. so 3rd fret on E string, 5th fret on d string. yeah. And then start with scales. i always start with G major. Its just an easy scale and you can get them started ont he whole root-2nd-3rd-4tf-5th-6th-7th-octave thing. teach some easy songs like...greenday - brainstew. about there, it depends on how they are comeing along. Oh...and idk if it sounded like this but....i dident mean do ALL this in the first lesson. Im talking mabye one thing a lesson. SO yeah, right there ya have about 10 lessons or something. Just go by how the studen is progressing and youll be fine. hope this helps.

- w00t
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    One of the first things I would teach them is how to post in the correct forum.
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well I'd say the MOST BASIC thing you can teach is which strings tune to what and how the fretboard works and how to get up and down it.. that and proper positioning of the fingers n stuff should be first... next... I don't know maybe teach her a simple bass line from a song she likes to get her started? (I know that feeling of wanting to be able to play something that I like as quickly as possible :p )
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The 1st things I myself would teach and have taught a couple of people who never touched a bass/guitar or had any music knowledge are:

1. How to proporly hold/wear the instrument
    2. Proper right and left hand fingering techniques
    3. Scales both major and minor in all 12 keys
    4. Arpeggios major/minor in all 12 keys
    5. Basic sight reading
    6. Common chord progressions and some theory on why they work together
  9. that was a great post impulsee, rock:bassist: