Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teaching People(where to start)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MrSaturn, Jul 1, 2004.

1. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    Well my friends brother wants me to teach him bass. He plays baritone already, so I am pretty sure he knows how to read bass clef. But I just wanted to know where I should start to start teaching him. I was thinking starting off with learning different ways to do scales, and then like simple blues stuff, bu tI dont really knopw how to get started to teach him and other stuff i should do. Thanks for your time. :ninja:

2. noodles

noodles

Jul 1, 2004
    the only advice i can give is dont be an arse to him because i ahd a fantastic teacher theoretically but he was the strangest person i've ever met...in a very bad way, he was unnerving and had a sickly smile...and was generally a bit of an arse when i wasnt playing music.
    you need to be able to connect with a teacher to learn properly. that being the reason why i am teacherless and trying to teach myself...unsuccessfully.
    Probably scales, and simple blues stuff, but try and mix it about a bit with other styles and occasionally a song or two, otherwise it just gets repetetive and stale. oh and one good thing would be to ask him what his aims for learning are, what he wants to get out of it, etc.
    hope i was of any use :D

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Some things to teach a beginner are:

How to proporly hold the bass guitar.
    How to tune the instrument
    Proper right and left hand fingering positions
    One ocatave major scales in all 12 keys in the order of the circle of fifths.
    Sight reading.