1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teaching son. Need practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scottgun, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    What do you guys like? I'd like it to have headphone monitoring and an aux in for play along. Nothing big (no gigging-amp purchases until someone has a gig :))I saw an Ampeg at GC for under $150, but don't know much else about it.

Your input appreciated.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  2. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Best rated combo amps are Fender Rumble or GK; both make small combos that can be had for under $200; GK MB108 and Rumble 40. Ampegs ok too - not as light, I'm not an Ampeg fan but many are. Not sure where is SC you are but in many areas you can find used combo bass amps for $150 or less (try Craigslist); if you find one, post questions here and we'll do what we can to help.

3. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Yep, lots of fish out there in the big ocean to choose from. I am an Ampeg guy and the combo I'm sure you're talking about is the BA-110 v2 for $149. Yeah, it's a tad chunky at 33 lbs, but depending on how much you plan on hauling it around, it'd make for a perfect bedroom practice amp, especially placing it in the monitor position, able to beam towards your ears a little better. Fender Rumbles are quite popular and are at all the main consumer price points.

If you want to save some cash, go used and pick up a model more expensive than you thought you could afford but at the cost of something of less expense. Be picky though, as C-List can be swampy from time to time. Head on over to the Combo Club and ask our resident experts after you refine your goals a bit for the planned purchase. Good hunting!

saabfender likes this.
  4. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Yes, Ampeg. Go buy. Start the journey off right. Or, if you’re feeling dangerous, Orange.

5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I have two Ampegs, a BA-108 (practice and very small gigs) and a BA-210 for regular shows. In fact I hooked my Ampeg 810 "fridge" up to the external speaker jack on the 210 saturday night and had plenty of power. Bandmates were quite surprised.

6. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The urgency of this advice shouldn’t be ignored.

I don’t really understand the statement about no gig-capable amp until he has a gig. You can’t get a gig unless you have the gear. “We heard you play bass. Come over and jam.” “I gotta get my dad to buy a bigger amp first.” The humiliation!

7. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I’ve never heard the no gig capable amp until you have a gig statement before. It doesn’t make much sense to me either.

I have noticed that amps have gotten much better. I started on some tiny 8”, 25 watt Squire amp that came with my Squire P Bass when I was thirteen or fourteen I guess. It was crap, absolute crap, but it worked. I had to upgrade about a year later (an SWR) when I started playing with my brother. All in all, it would’ve been better from an economic standpoint to just get a decent amp and use it for as many years as I coulda squeezed out of it. My allowance, though, kinda forced my hand on the combo starter pack.

The Ampeg series, and, yes, even the Fender line, are great amps capable of hanging with a light handed drummer. If I were this kids father, I’d be comfortable getting the 10” Ampeg (probably even an 8” Ampeg), but I know my son would be set for many years with the 15” Ampeg, and would be able to fill a room with some pretty awesome sounding Jamerson bass lines. Would he be able to play a gig with the 8 or 10....maybe/probably. Would he be able to gig with the 15....absolutely.

But, regardless of my opinion, the amount of money you’re willing to spend ultimately forces your hand.

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Bigger and louder amps have volume knobs. I understand that until you know for sure he is going to keep playing and not lose interest, you dont want to fork over a bundle of money. The rub is that without a larger (read more powerful) amp, a bass player is S.O.L. in playing with other musicians... Especially a drummer.

I suggest looking 100-150 watts or more through 2x10 or 1x15. Most combos set up like this will mute the speaker when headphones are connected. Some have a physical outboard plug/jack connection you can use to disconnect the speaker if the output is not muted when using headphones. In the latter example, these amps can be connected to a bigger speaker cabinet in the future if needed.

Sort of an unwritten rule (or right of passage lol) is a used, older Peavey TNT or TKO or similar combo. There are thousands of them still in working condition, and nearly any day of the year there is one listed for sale somewhere in or near most most major US cities.

Behringer is a cheap option in budget amps as well, however their reputation for reliability is spotty. Good luck, and let us know what you are looking at before you pull the trigger. The collective will chime in with opinions and suggestions or pros/cons of the particular model.

AboutSweetSue likes this.
  9. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys. I went with the Ampeg 40-watt. I like the sound and love the ability to tilt monitor style.

The "no gigging-amp" was somewhat facetious. I know these forums and was trying to limit the GAS arms races that often ensue in these discussions. Trust me, if we need a rig that can mace other bandmates into submission, we'll figure something out. :)