Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teaching through duets

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by TomGale, Nov 2, 2005.

1. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    Over 45 years of teaching, I have always found that using duets is an excellent teaching tool. The students tend to imitate their teacher in sound, vibrato, etc. and duets give them a great opportunity to try - especially if they are written with independent lines - not just moving in block harmony. I wrote 5 bass books and the worst-selling one is the duet book. I sell about 10-12 a year! I tried to write them in one page as to be part of a lesson - not take up the whole time. The down side is - if the student plays out of tune or can't count - it will show up in the duet.
    Tom Gale
    ASODB.com

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah Mr. Gale you've pretty much covered it.

Your duet books will only sell and be used by those who like to be seen naked LOL

3. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    I should have also mentioned more of the good points. It's not in many lesson materials that you can stop and tune a Major third or Fifth - it really sharpens the ear. When one part is moving in eighth notes against a quarter or half note, it really improves independent counting. AND it gives the student a chance to play with the teacher - not just listen and parrot.
    Tom Gale
    ASODB.Com

4. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    I just remembered I had posted 2 duets from the book that can be downloaded free in a PDF (?) format at: www.siasmusic.com/2xlbass.html
    On the right side of the page you will see "Harmonic Shuffle" and "Spirituals". Of the 19 duets in the book, these are at the advanced level. Enjoy!
    Tom Gale
    ASODB.Com