Team and Essex Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooby D, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hello there. Has anyone here played an Essex or Team bass? I've seen them being sold on ebay and at Rondo They look nice but I have no idea if they sound or play decent.Their prices are very inexpensive(Cheap?).See ya!
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Had a look at the Team (BG-80?). Well, for the money (cheap-eli-cheap-eli), you can't demand much... I guess they are OK instruments, and if they are *good* Fender-copies, i.e. no crucial component like truss rod or something is missing, it could be a decent first bass. Or something to wang, dang, smash or travel with or whatever.

I wouldn't buy it, though - definitely not as a main instrument. But hey, that's me.
  3. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    any here tried an essex? because of the price im thinking of getting one 'just because'

4. I too have seen the Essex's on ebay and quite frankly, they kind of intrique me. Here is my thinking:

All Fender style basses are very simple and all are assembled in much the same way. In that regard the Essex matches the Fender. How well it is assembled is another story, but with the simple design, adjustments can be made. Wood selection is next on the list of the description of a decent guitar. The natural Essex body shown is definitely made from ash and that's what a true high end Fender would use. Same with the neck - maple. Again, same/same as Fender. Next is the hardware. This is harder to judge because decent hardware is used on even the cheapest of basses. But I think that none of the hardware shown is any worse than the cheapest Fenders so why not? All of the other things like pickguards, and pickups can be changed to suit. With all of this, the $100 or so it would take to get one doesn't seem out of line and we all know it won't be your last bass now don't we ;) Go ahead, try it out. For that short amount of dough it's practically a throw away if it isn't any good at all. When I think of what I started on, this Essex bass is light years ahead.