1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Team Zissou

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gkbass13, Sep 14, 2008.

1. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Here it is, as per request in the Nicholas Cage "appreciation" thread.

From Ghostbusters to Rushmore, a stint on SNL to Caddyshack, from serving the RZA and GZA some coffee and cigarettes, to hunting down lost loved ones in Broken Flowers, i give you, the long overdue..... Bill Murray appreciation thread!!!!

so if you'd like a cap and speedo and to join the team, ask for your Team Zissou number, or just feel free to post about the man himself and his work.

I'll gladly take #1.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He's great...he's had his fair share of stinkers but some fantastic ones as well.

Just like Cage though he usually plays himself in movies too rather than transforming into the character.

bc

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    He's in quite a few of my favorite movies: Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day, The Royal Tennenbaums.

He was also great on SNL. Really dig his Star Wars lounge act.

4. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i disagree about the being himself thing, as bill murray has had 2 really distinct phases in his career in my opinion. the first one was more of his straight comedy where he was usually a bit of a jerk in hsi films, but lately, as he does wes anderson films and such it seems like he is doing this laid back, non acting thing....and it is awesome! I love everythign he has done with wes anderson, even though he is barely in Darjeeling Limited, and lost in translation, ghostbusters, coffee and cigarettes and groundhogs day are all awesome movies.

5. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago

brilliant.

any of his appearances on Dave Letterman are also worth checking out.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm a fan for sure.

7. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    a fan is great, but i would imagine you would be at the top of the list of people willing to toss on the Zissou garb and join the club, maki. you down, sir?

8. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Stripes....

Count me in. You crazy, Bill Murray...

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with all of that except that I haven't yet seen Darjeeling Limited. I agree that he has sort of had 2 phases but I think he was being himself in both phases...he's just changed as a person.

bc

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What is about the GZA and the RZA?

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He's friends with them and has appeared in some short scenes together with them.

I agree with the idea that the two phases "early-comedy-jerk" and "recent-non-acting-blase" are probably phases of his real life. That documentary of the early days of SNL showed him IRL to be very much like his characters at that time. And recent interviews are hard to distinguish from his acted roles.

I like him a lot, but only in small doses. After a while the persona becomes cloying.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'll captain the boat.

13. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    A Big Lebowkski thread and a Bill Murray thread in the same day. I didn't think TB had such great tastes in movies. :hyper:

14. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I love his work in Wes Anderson's movies. Anderson is an amazing director and Murray is a great actor to compliment his style. I thought Bill Murrays part in Darjeeling was very interesting and integral even though it was so small.

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    There are some posts in the Nicholas Cage thread that threaten to negate all good taste on TB.

16. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Don't worry, I don't think I'm going to be heading over to that thread any time soon.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeech... somebody actually said that The Rock and Face Off are their favorite movies. I guess there's no accounting for taste...

18. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    hahaha...during a night ridden with insomnia, i started this thread sort of as a result of the Nicholas Cage thread....funny how that works.

Vorago- watch the clip i posted a link to, it is from the film "coffee and cigarettes", RZA and GZA go to a coffee shop, and bill murray is their waiter...good stuff.

Steve K-you're right about the cameo in Darjeeling, and i absolutely loved that movie...along with everythign wes anderson does...although Tennenbaums is hands down my favorite of the bunch. i actually met Noah Baumbach as a wedding, as we have some mutual family friends...so that was cool. he co-wrote the life aquatic, and has done 2 movies(that i knwo of) on his own...the squid and the whale, and margo at the wedding.

so a question to the murray fans thus far, should this be a "zissou club" with numbers and the such, as the title of the thread would make one think, or shoudl it just be a laid back appreciation thread? im pretty sure the Mak(i)-daddy and myself are alread down for some club ishhh.

19. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Thats so cool that you've met Noah Baumbach. I read he did a lot of behind the scenes work with Anderson. I really like the Squid and the Whale, but I haven't seen any of his other films. If this is going to be an official club, I want in. So when do I get my cap and speedo? ;)

20. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    haha...figurative cap and speedo. there are replica Zissou adidas sambas on ebay...way overpriced though, especially since they arent even real adidas!!!

lets do some numbers, im 1, maki 2 and steve k is 3 for now...feel free to post or pm me for your number!