1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teamsters came to my house!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was in the yard and a car pulls up. A guy gets out and asks if I was who they were looking for (they knew my name.) They told me they were from The Teamsters and wanted to talk to me about joining. I told them I had NO interest in what they had to say. They left. That made me sooooo freakin' mad!

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You know where Hoffa's buried, don't you?

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wanted to cut them in two with a shotgun. That's what they will probably do to me. What makes me upset is that they knew my nick name (not just my full name) and my address.

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Teamsters have a sullied reputation, and at least two 'personal' recruiters-what a deal...

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It is scary to me. I have researched their history and it's full of violence and corruption. I will never be a part of something like that.

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They other was closed because it turned political.

8. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Well, did you get their names and addresses?

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They never got completely out of the car. Once they heard what I had to say and my demeanor, they said "OK" and left.

10. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That seems reasonable.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    And we wouldn't want that to happen here, would we? :eyebrow:

12. well you said no, and they left, what's to be mad about? :eyebrow:

Now if they repeatedly came to your house, it would be a different thing.

13. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    The Teamsters local that I was a member of were just a bunch of petulant, otherwise unemployable fat dudes in ill-fitting t-shirts with questionable personal hygiene. Nothing overly menacing or threatening about that, is there?

But yeah, I can see why you'd be resistant to join.

I wasn't overly involved with them in terms of personal and emotional investment, but does this whole "coming to your house to recruit you" thing happen often?

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I feel as if my privacy has been violated. What's next? They harrass me out on my route? It happens.

15. Then go to the authorities if they start harassing you?

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Much ado about nothing, bro. So they're trying to recruit you. No harm in that. You ever had an outstanding credit card balance? The info those collectors gather on you is insane. My sister got "in trouble" with credit card debt, and they called my ex-wife's parents asking for info about my sister.... AND my ex-wife's new husbands parents. A couple of Teamsters knowing your nickname is nothing these days. Chill brother.

17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yeah. Really. You're blowing this way out of proportion.

Anyway, what the hell are teamsters?

18. what business are you in that is of interest to the teamsters.....my union hates them but our drivers would be far better off with teamsters than they are now.....i had a teamster card back in the seventies and as i recall my hourly rate was not much less then than it is now....everyone seems to be anti union these days,and i understand why,but the reality is you are better of with than without....ever think what kind of sacrifices people made to give you the right to bargain collectively....ever wonder why companies don't like unions.....

i've walked a few picket lines ,and i feel that i owe it to those who made things like pensions,health insurance,and a living wage possible,by walking back in the day,when companies hired goons,and were perfectly willing to let you and your family starve in the street to keep the profits higher....

unless you come from old money,everything you have now,ever had,or ever will have was made possible because some dude walked a picket line....read a book or two and see how much time and money a working guy had left over after food and shelter in the not too distant past.....trouble is people these days don't know what real hardship is....

19. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It's a union that "represents a diverse membership of blue-collar and professional workers in both the public and private sectors. The union had approximately 1.4 million members in 2008."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teamsters

It appears they're trying to organize labor in Stinsok's industry, and they're contacting employees to encourage them to vote in favor of unionizing.

20. Hehe. There like little girls who enjoys indie music, a good cup of coffee or tea, grocery shopping at an organic store and vintage clothe shopping. Also enjoys local acoustic band shows, and enjoys indie flicks or foreign films with subtitles, teensters.