1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Teamwork or one-man written songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Sep 29, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    What works better for you? The entire band you're in writing in they own parts and seeing what fits, or, having 1 guy (most likely the guitarist/singer) write a complete song.

Personally I enjoy taking the time to work on an individual part. But whenever me and my guitarist friend write a song together it doesn't compare to our other guitarist's one-man written songs. I don't understand, how does 1 person beat 2 people working together?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My guitarist has written a bunch on his own, and so have I. We writh the bass abd guitar and maybe a drum track. Usually that is our drummer's job though. And he who writes the music writes the lyrics (unless the lyrics are first).

We both have a program called Tabit which is freat. You can write everything out and convert it to a midi file to send it to people.

Ocassionaly, it is a combined collaboration between me and him, but usually it is done separately.