1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Tear Drop" Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Is Vox the only company that really made(makes?) tear drop shaped basses?

It isn't full-on GAS yet... but interested in researching, at the very least...

I blame this interest on listening to too much surf-rock, lately.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Vox is cool but isn't surf usually all Fender.

3. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
  4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    They're way cool. I always dug the Vox Phantom too, but I don't know if they ever made a bass with that body

5. Ehhhh.... i guess more garage-y surf-y.

@alecduncan: that is AWESOME... but man... i just know i'd have to duct-tape down those switches above the bridge pup!

6. RSNG

RSNG

Sep 6, 2010
    Yes they did! "Fang" played a white one in Paul Revere and the Raiders. It had his name on the back in big letters.

7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I really dig the Halmark Swept Wing, too

[​IMG]

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado

9. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I would play the hell out of that if it had more electronic options!

Looks really cool.

10. "Professional quirky bro" Michael Cera played(s) a Vox Phantom, if i can read the headstock correctly.

5246235223_dfe4a8c90d.

^serious quirk

11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Apologies for kidnapping this thread about teardrop basses, but the Vox Mando Guitar was badass too

[​IMG]

Phantom makes one with a Bigsby

MG_trem-horz.

12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Pretty sure that's a Phantom brand who remakes vintage Vox shapes. They also make a Teardrop for around $700

http://phantomguitars.com/store/products/TearDrop®-Bass.html

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Geddy had a teardrop Fender in the 70's; can't remember if it was a p or j. Custom job. Just saying :D

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Geddy Lee made one! :D

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The Vox appears to be a 34" whereas some of the knock-offs look like short scale basses.

16. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I guess if you are just looking for a bass with a teardrop body, I think there were several other manufacturers making copies. I remember seeing a few pop up on ebay, and they tend to be cheaper than the original Voxs. Maybe food for thought.

I'm also surprised that the teardrop and the phantom shapes didn't take off. I think they look great, and certainly a lot more visually interesting than the majority of bass shapes you currently see. I mean, shapes like Flying V, Explorer and Firebird took off.

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    WAS a P bass

18. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Beat me to it! It sounded pretty awesome too...

I also hear it was formerly a P bass or something...and I'm totally for the chopping up of a bass for this cause. Hey, what better way to get that perfect sound you're looking for! :bassist:

19. No way. I've played in a surf band for years and there are LOTS of different makes. Univox's Hi-Flyer is/was a very popular surf bass, as were the Gibson EB-0 and many others.

You name a bass brand, and I'm sure surf has been played with it....a lot.

Yeah, I suppose no one would use a Gene Simmons "Axe" or some of the weird metal basses, but let's not stretch the point too far.

20. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000

Attached Files: