1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tearing my hair out over a head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Hokay, so here's the deal... I've been looking for the past month or so at bass rigs. I've ordered an Avatar 212 and I want a head that is fairly cheap, and push as close to 500 watts as my budget will allow.

My budget is $500, give or take a couple. I have an Ampeg B3-158 that i'm replacing and I really like the tone out of it.

Trying ampeg heads with the cab sounded really nice, but the B2RE that I was looking at seemed to be VERY quiet in terms of volume. I even had a used B2R on top of it, same settings on EVERYTHING, gain, volume, EQ, pads out, and limiter in. And the B2R was louder! :eyebrow:

So I'm kinda back to square one. I'm now looking at GK800 RB, but can you run that head into one cab, since it's made to be bi-amped?

What can give me nice approximation to ampeg tone, if it's not an ampeg, and a good watt rating?

I'm now open to suggestions...

2. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    GK 1001 - $600

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    GK 700RB-II is $519 delivered from RMCaudio. That would work great with your Avatar 212

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    You may want to check with Rudy @ The Music Complex in Pawtucket, RI (401)729-1860
    He is an Ampeg dealer and has a few different heads in stock that I am sure he will give you the best deal around on.

His store hours are 2:30-8pm Mon.-Thur.
    and Saturdays are hit or miss, but if you can catch him there I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

5. I played a GK head through an ampeg head and was surprised at the sound. I hate their cabs though.

It says the heads are bi-amped. Can I run them bridged though into one 4 ohm cab?