1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tearing speaker cones on my ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nomadical, Mar 1, 2008.

1. nomadical

nomadical

Mar 1, 2008
    I purchased an Ampeg 6x10 cab. a little over a year ago and had been playing it with a GK Backline 600 head. Everything was running fine and then just this past January my speaker cones started tearing. First, the bottom left speaker tore almost all the way around. I called Ampeg and talked to a rep. who told me that my GK head was not allowing enough wattage to properly power the amp and so it was causing the tear. He agreed to send a replacement speaker under warranty and so I removed and fixed the problem. No more than one rehearsal later the bottom right speaker cone began to tear. Again, I replaced it and decided that maybe I should upgrade my head to something more powerful.
    I opted to buy the Ampeg SVT 6pro series head which powers at 1100watts. Loved the power of it and I could hear myself well. After one rehearsal yet another speaker has torn on me. This time the top left speaker. I am highly frustrated and don't know what I am doing wrong. I have never had problems like this before. Anyone ever heard of this happening or have any advice?

2. Apparently the rep you spoke to is not that bright.

Sounds like you are pushing the speakers beyond their mechanical limits. Try backing way off on the low EQ

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Tearing of the cone or surround is caused by over-excursion, and that's the result of too much power, not too little. You're either running too loud or with too much low EQ or both.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There is tearing, and there is creasing.......

Sometimes it starts as creasing and progresses.... but tearing to me sounds like way overpowering at low frequencies the cabinet cannot handle.

Do you have any mega-boost on the lows?

If not, then it sounds like there is some actual, real problem with the speakers. The 610 should be able to handle plenty. The 6PRO is not "too much" for it.

BTW, just another piece of evidence that the Ampeg phone reps are pretty clue-less. Apparently you already know more than whoever you talked to. But give him a break, he might have been on the job only a week, fresh from working at McDonalds ............

5. nomadical

nomadical

Mar 1, 2008
    thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and fix my settings today. When I got the 6 Pro I just set it as it was listed in the instructions for "rock". It's going to take me a minute as there is so much to work with. Hopefully I won't have the ripping anymore and I'll refrain from discussing problems with Ampeg. Thanks again!