Tec Amplification Part 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    first :p

3. electric wood

electric wood

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks Brad and KJung for your helpful comments, much appreciated!

I think I'll do fine with the Bonafide.
    At first, I was going back and forth between Bonafide and EA Doubler, but, based upon what I've read here on TB, the TecAmps in general could provide more of that raw beefy impact while the Doubler would sound more polite. Both look outstanding however.

4. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    Will repost here :)

Hey guys.

I know theirs a few good techys on here so was hoping I could pick some of your brains :)

I have a Warwick XTreme 10.1 bass amp. It's 1000watts. I bought it brand new. It's been used a couple of times but no were near as much as I should have really due to me having a Tubepath as well that I use more!

I used it one night at a gig, maybe a year or so ago, went to plug it in at home and it wouldn't turn on.

Has no reason to as I treat all my gear like princess's as you would, but nothing would fire up...

I've tryed multiple power leads and no joy. And the fuse on the rear of the amp looks fine, I am on my way out now to replace it just for the sake of it... But wondered where to point my finger too next?

Obviously, in an ideal world I'd take it straight to some one with experience in this, but just wanted to see if I could get some ideas here first before throwing

Be grateful for any help :)

5. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose.

Aug 31, 2011
    Almanya
    I just tried what was last discussed in the old thread regarding the effects return with my Puma 500 (new model).

Plugged a bass into the instrument input and played. Then plugged a music player into the effects return. The instrument input is not muted. Both signals are on.

I tried this with headphones since I don't have my cab at home at the moment, but I can't imagine the speaker out to behave differently.

6. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    youre-barking-up-the-wrong-tree-snoopy.jpg
    i think you want to post in a thread related to your specific amp, not TecAmp products :D

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    In!

8. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    fwiw, the Puma 900 (and likely 500) actually work well with upright. I end up cutting the hi mids and highs and it gets rid of most of the piezo scratch (KK Bass Max). I can dial low bass out if need be as well, or use an fDeck HPF. The taste knob gives another way to move the tone around.

9. ^^ Indeed. I can't remember if I posted about my upright gig but I had a great one with Puma 500 (2hu) thru an HS410. It was the LOUDEST upright gig I've ever done and for some weird reason we were able to pull a stack of volume with minimal feedback issues. A combination of Empress EQ in the effects loop, evenly balanced speaker in the HS410 and an awesome sound tech who was all over the FoH and stage sound. He loved the DI, and miced my cab bc he thought the sound coming out of it was so natural.

Did an electric gig the next day (outdoor festival) which was great too. Plugged in and pumped it out. Didn't really think a whole lot about it - which is a great thing in an amp. No need to fiddle and fuss - just focus on the groove.

10. electric wood

electric wood

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks a lot Nostatic!
    You're precisely one of those gems here on TB who, through extensive search for top gear and actual performance with it, have given precious and documented advice, which saves us lots of time and money.
    The sound of your Rob Allen through Monique is out of this world! Deep and authorative yet warm and organic with a complex texture, just love it!

Now back to TecAmp: based on contributions by Precijazz and Nostatic, I could finally go with the Puma 900.
    Saves on price and space too as it would easily fit into a gig bag. More coherent for a modular setup: either 112 or 212.

11. electric wood

electric wood

Oct 3, 2011
    Exactly, keep the layout intuitive and just focus on the music!

12. Per the post above, sounds like the Puma 900 might work for what you want to do (i.e., the poster said that the input is still active when he plugs into the effects return. If that is true, you are all set.

Maybe Nostatic can confirm that this is the case with the power section hooked up (the poster only checked this using headphones).

Another thing to check is if the effects return is pre or post EQ (i.e., would your Monique through the effects in be sent through the EQ section of the Puma (like the Markbass circuit) or is it a more direct through to the power section.

13. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    I have run Monique into the effects return of the Puma 500/900. It is post eq - the only knob that does anything on the Puma is the master volume.

I also did some A/B listening between the Monique and Puma preamps. I hooked up Monique (into the effects return) and I would swap the input cable between Monique and Puma - didn't have to pull out the effects return cable. Actually a very flexible setup.

14. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    This has me intrigued. Having the choice between two different flavor preamps through the same power section seems really cool. Monique pre for fat, old school warmth. Puma pre for something more modern. Add a Berg CN212 (given the reports) or a ML212 and well... I can't imagine it could be any better (for me anyway).

bass nitro likes this.
  15. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Truth be told, the main reason I went with the Minnie power amp was aesthetics - I love a clean look and setup. The last two gigs I've just taken the Puma and I have been reminded how great that amp is. So the Monique/Puma combination is pretty much all I could ever need from a tone and volume perspective.

16. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    yeah... hard to argue with the aesthetics of the Monique/Minnie but I would sacrifice the beauty for the flexibility... i think. You have it all.

17. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    in with a Puma 900....and the first time in a long time without any backup amps!

18. jephil

jephil

Feb 23, 2011
    Canada,Qc
    First I had a gig last weekend and I heard a strange noise, so pronounced that I thought it was the speaker first.
    And then, at home, It does it again, then I though it was the batterie, played passive...the noise's still there. Yesterday I've been doing some A B test, with different cabs(bergantinos), different amp (LMIII), differents basses, cables,etc..just to isolate the problem. It was clear that the problem is from my puma 900..man!!..What hell, first I bought my puma 500 when received it, even when the amp was on, the blue light doen't worked, then I swap it for the 900, strange noise came through even when my Jack wasn't plug yet, .. I received A new puma 900, 6 month ago ..and now it does that sound almost like my speakers was busted......
    Any Ideas of what might be the problems..

19. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I wouldn't try to figure it out, back to the dealer it goes and get a new one. End of story. It sounds as though you have a loose wire some where. Two thumbs up for my Black Jag 900. It's working like a charm.

20. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    had a noise issue with my Jag. returned it, now i am problem free. just do it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021