1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TecAmp Dream Buzz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hentor, Mar 22, 2013.

1. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    When I was in at F-Bass headquarters to pick up my BN5, I spied the TecAmp Dream Buzz Deluxe pedal as George now distributes this line in Canada.

Having seen very little online about it, I arranged some time last night to check this pedal out...

It's a very nice, very polite Big Muff clone with a little less edge and grit that takes up a HUGE amount of pedalboard space.

However it's a very nice, very polite Big Muff clone with a little less edge and grit that, I'm sure, would fulfill someone's fuzz needs.

I particularly liked the Cream/Milk switch that could be used to cut the amount of bass signal that is affected, with the switch in "Cream" it very much had a chainsaw in chocolate pudding kind of vibe - a warm, full frequency buzz, with nice bass. However it was a little too polite for my fuzz needs.

In the "Milk" setting it definitely had more edge and was a little less polite sounding, but also sucked out the bass and lower mids, making it sound a little more like you were using a guitar pedal.

The controls worked as you expect them to, however the fuzz control worked counterclockwise (in my opinion counterintuitivly) in that 0 was on the far right (5 o'clock) of the knob and 10 was on the far left (7 o'clock), whereas all the other knobs worked the "traditional" way.

Given that I tested it using an F-Bass, it worked equally well with active and passive electronics and sounded lovely through the TecAmp Puma 1 x 12. It also had a nice gnarly sound in a Mark Bass Alain Caron Signature amp...

Given that my Big Muff needs are handled nicely by a SolidGoldFX modified Sovtek Big Green box, I had little use for this pedal (I was hoping for a more overdrive based pedal). It is a really smooth and polite sounding fuzz that does a great job of applying fuzz to a full spectrum bass sound. It's also HUGE and takes up a lot of space on a pedal board, but it does allow you to tweak that fuzz within an inch of its life...