1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD TecAmp PUMA 1000 - PRICE FURTHER REDUCED

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Joebone, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Price:
    $850.00
    IMG_3172.JPG IMG_3176.JPG IMG_3177.JPG IMG_3178.JPG IMG_3173.JPG IMG_3174.JPG IMG_3175.JPG On offer is a TecAmp Puma 1000. Pictures finally added...

And Price FURTHER Reduced, to $850.00 shipped CONUS - I'm back from vacation and it is time to sell this bad boy!

Below you can find the propaganda from Puma. Other than that I can tell you this is a superb amp, but I still favor my Class A/B Thunderfunk so have decided to release this Puma into the wild.

Lots of folks dig Pumas, with good reason. The "Taste" control functions like the "Timbre" control on a Thunderfunk - a one knob eq filter that can provides an instantaneous and wide range of tones with a simple twist. It looks like the Genzler Magellan now also goes down this road with its "Contour" circuit, and I am a huge fan of this approach, which permits quick and effective tone changes on a gig.

The 1000 is a wee bit bigger than the 900, but the additional features include a good compressor circuit that also allows you to vary the attack characteristic, and 2 push-button EQ switches for deep bass and high range, which turn out to be quite useful and complementary to the 4-knob EQ stack. This is also the newer "ICE" version power module, so you can drive two separate channels (with their own volume controls on the back), each capable of running 500 watts at 2 ohms [2 ohm capability is rare among Class D amps], or one channel bridged will give you 1000 watts into 4 ohms. So you can easily drive two 4-ohm cabinets, and you can do two 8-ohm cabinets by running them separately on each channel, or daisy-chained from the bridged output for maximum power. Many also believe these ICE-equipped units are more reliable (there is a fan), and sound better than the older Powersoft modules. The fact that ICE (Bang & Olafson) now dominates the Class D power module universe has to be for a reason!

Condition is excellent: purchased from Glenn at Austin Bass Traders about two years ago, but very low mileage - I don't think I've had it out of the house more than a dozen times, although in one of those forays it took a small dent to the upper left hand fascia. Includes original packaging, rack ears (unused) and the other doodads included with the box.

For more opinions, here's the Bass Player review from Summer, 2014:

Review: TecAmp Puma 1000 Head & Virtue Cabinet

It really is a winner.

Price FURTHER reduced, to $850.00 shipped CONUS.
    No trade offers, please. I'm settled in, and will be selling off a few other items over the next few months.

And now, the official Puma blurb:

The Puma 1000 is extremely small in size but very big on sound. Only the finest materials and components are utilized in order to create a high performance amplifier that evenly reproduces the entire frequency range and delivers solid, articulate, accurate, and ultra dynamic bass sound.

Exclusive features of our ultra-flat premium input stage sets new standards in this amplifier class. Carefully selected frequencies and optimal notch width of PUMA's tone controls suit all musical styles. All PUMA series amps boast a four-band tone control section which lets you easily dial in any sound you want. No more turning knobs all night...

The TASTE control emphasizes the tonal characteristics of the individual instrument. Set at 12 o’clock, the control has no effect on the signal. Turn it counter-clockwise to filter out the perfect amount of ultra-low frequencies while enhancing a pronounced mid range. This delivers definition and clarity while retaining power and fullness. Turn it clockwise to soften the upper mids and highs. This yields a darker “old school” bass sound.

Additional features such as the Effects Loop, Tuner Out, Line Out, Line In, and three Speakon® outputs and a DI Out with Pre/Post switch make the PUMA series amps extremely versatile. PUMA amplifiers are ideal for worldwide touring due to their voltage selector switch which allows them to be operated at 230 or 115 volts.

Additionally, the Puma 1000 features our newly developed compressor which allows for subtle dynamic alterations without any level changes. You can also choose between a long and a short attack time which provides even more breathtaking sound variations from subtle leveling to enhanced attack, to almost unlimited sustain. The Effects Mix and Line In are located on the front panel for easy access. The MUTE function is foot switchable. The equalizer section is further expanded by switchable bass (30Hz) and treble (10kHz) boosts.

Technical Specifications

Output Power Rating
    Output RMS 2 x 500 w (2 ohms), 1 x 1000 w (4 ohms) bridged mode
    Dimensions
    Width 10.7 in
    Height 3.2 in
    Depth 9.9 in
    Weight 4.41 lbs
    Other Features
    Cooling temperature controlled fan
    Power Amp Class D amplifier module, separate volume control for CH-A and CH-B and bridged mode option
    Power Supply switching power supply

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    AztecViking and melodiaopus like this.
  2. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    On hold...

3. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Deal fell through - off hold and up...

4. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Bump, and pix now added to original post

5. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    PM Sent

6. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    And responded to!

7. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Any interest in a Markbass F 500 and some cash difference for the Puma? It is the best Markbass head they made and hard to find .Has bag that fits it.

8. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Sorry should have PMed !

9. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    No need for F500, but thanks for your interest.

10. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Bump for price reduction to $900, shipped CONUS

11. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Excerpt from another thread, re digital amps that do 2 ohms...

TecAmp Puma 1,000 is sorta. It has two separate power amp sections which can do 4 ohm each. You could run two 4 ohm cabs, but not one 2 ohm cab, as I understand it.
    This is mostly true, and I happen to be selling one over in the Classifieds...

For Sale - TecAmp PUMA 1000 - PRICE REDUCED

I used it a few times with two Audiokinesis 4-ohm cabinets. They were not matched - a 115 and a 112, with the 115 markedly more efficient, but the Puma has a volume knob for each separate speaker output when using the two-amp capability, which helped. That said, I'd otherwise recommend using a matched pair of 4-ohm cabinets and going for it! And each of those separate amp sections is rated for 2 ohms, so technically one could use two 2-ohm cabinets and draw 500 watts apiece, but bridging the two amp modules will not support 2 ohms. With bridging, you get 700 watts at 8 ohms, and 1000 watts at 4 - this very last configuration was my favorite with this amp.