1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tecamp puma 500 EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedroferreira, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Hi.

Can anyone tell me what are the frequency points in the preamp of Tecamp puma 500?
    I can't find it anywhere online, and can't find the manual either.

Thanks,

Pedro

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ken (KJung) is the resident Tecamp expert... You can expect to him to be by this thread in 3... 2... 1...

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

3...2....1... 0... blast-off:D

30, 250, 800, 8K

Don't let the 30 scare you...it's not shelving, it impacts frequencies above that. Same with the treble (impacting freq's below 8K).

The low mid control is the BOMB... the punch knob.

I run mine virtually flat, with just a little upper mid cut with the upper mid present s212, and a bit of low mid boost with the 'wide and polite' 410UL.

This is EQ as it's meant to be used... a very even inherent voicing that sounds great set neutral, and then the four bands designed to add big fat bottom, punch, to reduce gank, and add sparkle, depending on the cab and your tone goals.

Also, the 'Taste knob' (almost identical to the Thunderfunk 'Timbre' control) allows you to go from 'Ric to Dub' with one control. Just like with the Timbre knob, I never touch it:D However, if you want to charge into 'non-transparent land' it's great!

The Puma1000 has slightly different EQ, due to the additional of voicing 'buttons' (higher centered bass control, I believe). I'm not sure about the new 'Bonafide' model.

I LOVE the Puma500 EQ. Similar to the MB LMII EQ, but more fat in the bass (even though it is centered way down low, there is a LOT of meat to that control), MUCH more punch in the low mids, identical upper mid control, and a more usable treble control.

PM me if you need more info.

K

4. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Thanks Ken.

A friend of mine is buying one. And I guess I'm curious how it will sound with my NL210.

Maybe I'll like it more than my Ag500 :rollno:

GAS will never die :bag:

Pedro

5. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    So is there enough sonic difference between the 500 and the LMII to justify the price difference? Asking because one of these two amps could possibly be in my future.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It should match up GREAT with the NL210. The s212 reminds me of a louder, beefier NL210. It has similar upper mid presence, and upper treble sparkle if you want it., just like the NL210, but a bit more beef down low (it is a 212 versus a 210, but the box size is about the same, and the s212 actually weighs less!)

I have not A/B'd with the AG500, but I indirectly hear the Puma500 as having about the same output (although the Puma uses those nonlinear pots, so you have to turn the knobs a bit more), similar fat, creamy low end, but much more control of the mids, and a bit more hi fi sparkle up top.

Post up if you run it with your NL210. The tone actually reminds me a bit of the iAmp500 with warmer mids, but without all the hiss and noise:D:bag:

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've posted on this before. IMO, when asked in that black and white way, my answer is 'no'. I find the build quality and volume and overall quality of the LMII equal to the Puma500. However, I personally like the more creamy, smooth 'Glockenklang type' voicing of the Puma500 a bit better than the LMII. Does that make it worth an additional $600:eek: Well, given I'm very lucky to be relatively price insensitive, I'm willing to pay a lot more for what I feel is a little better.

With the introduction of the new LMIII, LMTube, LM800 and LM800 tube, I guess I would say unless you really love the tone profile of the Puma, which I 'unfortunately' do, I would at least check out the LMIII or LMTube first.

If you really like the creamy, smooth, fat, tone of the Epi502/902 or Glock HeartRock Soul, and want a Micro amp, IMO the Puma is it, and while the 500 will not do the volume of the 502 or HeartRock, it has better EQ (IMO) and a somewhat more even inherent voicing.

Pure IMO. While the TecAmp rig is my primary gigging rig at this point, I still am totally blown away by the tone, quality and PRICE of the Markbass LM line of amps (and the wonderful, tight, punchy F1!).

IMO IMO and IMO

8. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Pedro, I just bought a second NL-210 and I tested it out through the previous owners Puma. It sounded very impressive. I'm trying to decide:
    1) Wait for the price drop (hopefuly) on the LM II and get a cheap amp cheaper.
    2) Go with the LMIII that has a few changes that I like.
    3) Spend the coin on the Puma and call it done.

9. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Ken.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

This might be easier than you think. The impedance of the NL210's (I assume due to that transmission line design) is a touch lower than the 8ohm published spec. There are a number of posts indicating that the LMII DOES NOT LIKE being pushed even a little below 4ohms.

The LMII and I assume LMIII are not compatible with two 8ohm NL210's. As far as I know, these are the only cabs that the LMII has trouble with. I'm not sure about the other heads in the MB line, but my suggestion would be to stay away from the LMII with those cabs, and focus on a head that is safe to operate below 4ohms. I have no information on whether the Puma is sensitive to this or not. My guess is, given the price, and the amazing Powersoft class D module that TecAmp uses, that it most likely wouldn't be a problem.

Assuming the iAmp Pro doesn't have some of the issues of previous iAmp heads, that might be the way to go with two NL210's. The iAmp Pro is actually less expensive than the Puma 500 in the US anyway.

11. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks again Ken. I have to say I played my Yamaha TRB JPI through that amp and I was REALLY impressed. And that was with some crusty strings too. I'm just over the big amps with a thousand knobs and switches that I don't use anyways. Simple and small is the way I'm going I guess so all the input helps.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's been the BIG winner at our recent GTG's.

However, it kind of goes like this:

1) Plug into the Puma500/S212 and play

2) 'Holy Geez that sounds great.. wow, amazing!

3) How much does it cost?

4) oh.... that LMII KILLS:D

13. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I love my TecAmp stuff...I just can't afford to keep it :(

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I saw that you had to do a fire sale. Bummer. Someone will get a nice deal on a mega rig. Good luck.

15. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I use my AG500 (4 ohm safe) with one NL210 and one CXL112 (both 8 ohm impedance; both with the same resistance on a multimeter) and it works fine. The AG500 never gets warm.

Cheers,

Pedro

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1. It's an issue only with two NL210's from what I understand. I know it's more difficult to measure nominal impedance than it seems, so not sure about the multimeter thing. That's over my head. I just know that a few people have had the LMII go into protect mode with, and only with, two NL210's, and EA later confirmed that the NL210 8ohm is actually lower than 8ohms.

17. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello Ken,

Given that I'm a Glock user for five years now, I've played on Friday on a MB LMII... guess what... I didn't like it at all.

That night I found my tone very dry with no particular caracter or personality.

I missed a certain warm thickness that is, I think, Glock tone.

Would you say that the Puma 500 have that warm thickness (maybe what you call creamy) ?

If the puma is close enough to my Soul head, I could be sold on it.
    ;)

Regards

Ludo

18. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Shiveringbass

Looks like I've sold my Glock HeartRock head and I'm this close to getting a Puma (500 probably but maybe the 1000).

My concern is exactly the same one as you have regarding the fullness of tone.

I have a Epi410UL and KJung has confirmed by PM that this cab sounds great with the Puma.

I'm not too big a fan of the LM11 in general but I have to say it sounded pretty good through the Epi410, although I never gigged it.(I did gig it with an Epi212 NYC and it struggled a bit on a rock gig IMO)

I'm hoping the Puma will do it with the 410UL and if it does I'll probably buy a 1000 and get a 212 (Epi or Tecamp) to have a rig for all time.............. yeah right!

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I had a HeartRock for a while, and would agree they HR/Soul sounds quite different from the LMII. While the LMII is very 'transparent', accurate and very precise, for lack of better terms (IMO and IME that is the 'dryness' that you are hearing), the Glock is quite voiced, with a very big, almost 'tube-like' low end that can actually growl and break up a bit when pushed, a bit of dip in the mids, and a relatively unique hi fi top end. VERY diffent voicing, and it does not surprise me that one would have a clear favorite.

The Puma sits between the Glock and LMII tone-wise, but is closer to the Glock. It is bigger and warmer and wider than the LMII down low, and has more of that hi fi Glock HR voicing up top. The good news is, even though it has less knobs than the HR/Soul, to my ear and experience, it allows more control of the lower mids, which is key when you have that big low end voicing. The EQ points are literally the best I've experienced in a simple fixed 4 band format.

The only concern I'd have with an HR/Soul user is if you are one who pushes the input gain on those units to emulate that 'soft tube break-up' thing. The Puma will stay totally, completely clean down low at all times. It's 'creamy' like the Glock and Epi heads, but in no way is it designed to emulate a tube pre being pushed.

The 500 puts out about as much volume as the LMII ( and will EASILY keep up with the volume of the Soul), and I would assume the 1000 bridged into 8ohms would more than keep up with the HeartRock. There is a new model that allows for 4ohm bridging, and puts out 800 watts into four ohms with dual channels and, interestingly, true stereo operation (i.e., stereo pre and power) for those who use stereo effects like chorus.

If you dig the Glock HR or Soul, it would surprise me if you didn't really like the Puma.

20. I think I will get the Bonafide amp :) It should be available in 4 weeks..