1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tecamp Puma 500 vs Epi 502 vs Shuttle 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xqusemuah, Mar 17, 2009.

1. xqusemuah

xqusemuah Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2001
    S. Orange County, CA
    Last night Miko Espanol & I did this shoot out.

Cabs were an original EA NL120 and Berg HT112 ER stack.

Basses were:
    Fodera Beez Elite (passive w/ Aero's, Ash / Ebony / maple)

Nordstrand NJ Active/passive w/ Big Singles, Alder / Cocobolo / maple.

The amps were all set pretty much flat w maybe a schosh of bass.

First came the 502. Predictable basic great tone and power. I love that amp. It felt the most powerful of the bunch. It was like a monster compared to the rest of the uber lightwieght field, but we both liked it a lot.

Then onto the Shuttle. Very clear, thumpy, and in your face, sounded best with the BERGS , but for both of us our least fav. (We both are pretty much fingerstyle players) Form this point, we pretty much went back and forth between the 502 and the PUMA.

Enter the Puma 500. Just lovely, much like the 502, but a bit "creamier" I found it very musical. Elegantly simple. The real suprise was when we mated it to the NL210. WOW. It sure likes that cab, IMO, that was unlike any of the other combo's. For me that was it. Fingerstyle heaven and PUNCHY, growly , never harsh. I think 2 NL210's would be over the rainbow. I was going to sell that cab till i heard the PUMA with it. I liked the PUMA 500 much more than the 1000. TECAMP only had the 1000 at NAMM and i thought is was rather blah, no big yank.

2. Cool! That's how I hear the Puma500 also. GREAT head, and I can see it sounding very good with the NL210, since that cab reminds me A LOT of the TecAmp s212 (warm and punchy, somewhat aggressive in the upper mids, tight, focused low end).

I agree that my 502 spanked the 500 a bit in the pure volume and forceful low end areas, but the tone and EQ control of the 500 was far superior to me.

I have a feeling your experience with the 1000 was due more to the unfriendly trial environment of NAMM than a massive difference between the 500 and 1000 in tone (although I've never had the pleasure of trying the 1000, so just guessing there).

I too would not put the Shuttle in the same class as the other two amps regarding build quality, tone, volume. Nice little amp though.

3. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    My current main rig
    Nordy VJ4 (DR HighBeams) w/ audere > DB750 > GS112 x 2 (1 horn off, 1 horn set ~ 30 - 40% on)

I absolutely love the DB750... but I've been GAS'ing pretty hard over a smaller micro type head

The DB750 was a purchase of gear lust I'm glad I bought but in no way do I honestly need that much power... it's like using a 90mm to hunt deer

Let me say this... I do not intend to try a head to emulate the DB750 I know it's not going to happen.

My tone goal... I'm a fingerstyle player (zing/nasal is not my thing) some upright every now and then and some synth bass

forum wise I've been pretty smitten with the idea of a puma 500 I haven't tried one but based off comments it sounds like it would be the ticket

I've looked at the shuttle as well

i would prefer not to get rid of my gs112s...

thoughts

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Interesting, i pretty much have the same experience with the 500. Musical, clear, answers great on what you play. Lovin it.
    I never tried the Epi 502, but the shuttle was a friggen weird amp. Tried it out with some aggie's DB, and a few tecamp cabs (wich i now how they sound) and it was horrible, harsh, poor low's and bad focused hi's.
    Maybe its tuned for GB cabs, wich seems a little weird to me.

5. Interesting that my old post above assumed that the 1000 and 500 voicing was the same, but we now have additional feedback that they are voiced a bit differently.

I'm not quite as negative on the Shuttle 6.0 as you are, but in general I would agree. I think one of the things that you are hearing is that head being VERY voiced right out of the box. The 'flat' tone of that head (i.e., all the controls at neutral) is pretty bad to my ear (the 'thin and harsh' type thing you describe). If you twist enough knobs, it starts to sound pretty good with some cabs IMO and IME.

The 502 is in a similar tonal place as the Puma500 (I had a 502 for a while). The 502 has a LOT of ooomph to it (louder and fuller than the 500... and of course, larger and heavier), but the voicing is somewhat dark, and the EQ is not nearly as musical and powerful to me versus the Puma500. The 502 kind of sounds a bit like the Puma500 with the bass control boosted to around 1 o'clock, and the treble control dialed back to 11 o'clock.... darker and less present/articulate. There's also a strange kind of 'mid mid' bump to that amp that I could never really control very well on the gig.

IMO.

6. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Cool take Ken. Id like to try the Epi heads sometime, i have only tried the cabs, and they are great.

7. I really like the Puma500 with the Epi410UL (4ohm). That cab is very big sounding and pure and wide and smooth, but can lack a bit of 'force and punch' that I hear in the TecAmp cabs. The low mid control of the Puma500 is perfect for adding a bit of low mid presence to that cab in a mix. The Epi tweeter sounds quite a bit like the 'soft' setting in the TecAmp circuit, with the medium level soft setting matching up pretty well with the 'sweet spot' on the UL's of about 10 o'clock on the attenuator setting.

Epi has a new head that just started shipping called the PS1000. It's a full two rack space sized head, but has an SMPS, so it's very light (I think around 10 pounds or so). It's much less expensive than the 502 (it's a single channel amp), but has an improved EQ section, with a variable contour control, which would be a great improvement over the 'on/off' slap scoop control of the 502/902. At $1,000 street for 1000 watts into 4ohms, it seems like a sweet spec and a great power to cost to weight ratio, although you'd have to rack mount it.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wish a MB head was thrown into the shootout to hear how it stacked up against the others. Maybe next time :)

9. I just posted an F1/Puma500 comparison in the other TecAmp thread.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    while in this particular shootout the shuttle wasnt the fav, for a pair of gs112's, i find the shuttle isnt too shabby.

nice mix of tubey syrup and hifi detail to go along w/ the gs112's inherent chocolaty richness. and i found the EQ pairs really well w/ the voicing of the cabs. the lows knob really fills out the lower portions in just the right spot, the variable midrange is great for finding that sweet spot for punch, and the highs knob brings out a nice detail that complements the gs112's darker voicing. and i like how the lows switch adds a nice huge presence when using a single cab. and while i dont want to go as far to say it shares anything remotely close to the vein of the 750, compared to these other heads, it does have a more laid back feel akin to the 750 and you can dial in a nice 750 like growl. course, it'll be missing that hefty weighty mosfet feel and gigantor aggression. ;)

there always seems to be a few in the classifieds, and would be worth a try.

and btw, nice little writeup peeps!~

11. +1... I recently checked out a Shuttle 6.0 with a GS112 stack, and it was very nice... nice mix and match with the punch of the Shuttle and the 'wideness and deep low end' of the GS112. I would think the Shuttle Max 6.0 would really be nice with that stack, with the increased EQ control, variable filters, etc., etc.

12. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    what about the puma 500 with a GS 112 stack?...

I've tried the shuttle, LMII, F1 and the Epi... I dug all of them for different reasons...

the puma 500 on the other hand is pretty new and it definitely has all the features I'm looking and off hand... I might not have a chance to give one a test run

13. I have not heard that combination, but for me, being familiar with both of those pieces of gear, that would be too much 'smooth fat and wide with smooth fat and wide' for my personal taste. I would think the LMTube would be pretty killer with that stack, but just guessing at this point.

K

14. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    ooh, smooth fat wide x 2... that's just my taste...lol

hmm, i'm hungry for some slow smoked brisket, drenched in sweet bbq sauce with a side of mash and a milk shake to drink...

damn!... then pass out till the tomorrow

15. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Sounds to me like a trip to Rudy's or The Salt Lick is in order. :bassist:

16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You just inspired me to grab Rudy's for lunch... my favorite two places for BBQ...

<edit> OK... opted for Art's instead as I was down on S Lamar for other reasons... still v good, though prefer the other two... <\edit>

17. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    ahh hell yeah... or even better a drive to Lockhart, TX - the whole town's livelihood is based off bbq - it's the BBQ capital of Texas. Just imagine a town of poor souls having schlep bbq everyday... it's awesome and sad at the same time

every joint there has amazing bbq - main difference is there sauces...

but anywho... back to topic - I see a Puma 500 in my future, I totallly forgot about Austin Bass Traders... I've never dealt with Glen but I've heard good things maybe I can set up an appointment to hear the puma in person.

18. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Dude, have some for me!

I'd drive to Austin for that.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Heck, I have flown to Austin to go to Bass Emporium and The Salt Lick. :cool:

Oh, yeah, and to visit my sister in law and her family... :smug:

20. I'm sure it would sound good, and the low mid control on the 500 is very good for adding a bit of punch.