1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tecamp xs112 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lightstrum, Oct 22, 2010.

1. lightstrum

lightstrum

Oct 9, 2010
    Anybody know where to find one?

2. Assuming you are in the US (your profile is not filled in), Glenn Kawamoto at Austin Bass Traders is the primary dealer and can get you anything from the TecAmp line. GREAT guy to deal with, and a great service and support if you ever have a problem.

K

3. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Question is: you sure you want one?

I owned the Puma 112 combo, which is I believe the same box, minus some internal volume for the amp and the attenuator on the midrange driver. I found the box to sound like it looks. Very small, and very honky -- I guess I would say low-mid forward. It didn't take EQ very well, because it was voiced to the extreme. The treble extension was good, but it really felt like it had a skewed frequency response, peaking in the low-mids and upper treble. All my bass EQ could do on it would make it boomy. Could BARELY keep up with a drummer using this box and the integrated Puma head.

IMO, there are so many better options if you want a small box. Exhaust those before you risk the TecAmp XS112.

4. Don't really agree with this. My s212 is bright up top (like many neo loaded cabs), but sounds beatiful to me personally (I have a few clips up on my Youtube and iComposition channel). Very lightweight stuff, very articulate (which isn't for everyone).

That being said, the combo cabs you are describing are quite different from the stand-alone cabs.. different tuning, and a mid driver versus the very nice switchable crossover tweeter circuit (wonderful) in the standard cab. The stand alone 112 sounds nothing like your combo cab, for better or worse.

That being said, they are expensive for what they are in the US, and I agree, if you can deal with just a touch more size and weight, there are better options for the money.

5. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Really? I'm usually on board with you, but you really think the XS112 would sound 'nothing like' the 112 combo cab, given nearly identical external dimensions, porting, woofer and midrange driver?

6. Unless things have changed, the XS112 has a tweeter with adjustable crossover versus the fixed mid driver in the combo.. quite different in the upper midrange. I agree, a mid driver combined with a bright, mid voiced typical bass speaker is typically not a good thing... honky and bright. The stand-alone cab will have the very nice tweeter and switchable crossover (pretty cool), and no mid driver. You combo had a fixed mid speaker, and no tweeter.

I agree with you though, unless ultimate size and weight are the OP's primary goal, for less money and just a bit more weight, the Berg AE112 would be a better bet for a bright but full sounding neo 112 in the US.

K

Edit: Another thing is that the little 112 combo is driven by the Puma350, which is the only amp in the line described as having a class A/B power amp. So, not sure how different that is than the Puma500 I have. All this stuff works together, and sometimes it can work together badly, even when the individual components sound good in an absolute sense.

7. PS To the OP, and building on the confusion described in Naturalkind's and my back and forth, TecAmp has done a terrible job of updating their website. The smaller cabs where greatly changed based on what is on the site now. I believe the XS and S cabs all have the large rear porting now (nothing particularly interesting about that, other than the voicing changed quite a bit from the tighter sounding front ported models). Also, per the above, the combo cabs have a fixed mid driver and the otherwise identical stand alone models have tweeters and that special attenuator/frequency shifting system).

HOWEVER... for all I know, they put mid drivers in everything now and just didn't update their site.

Glenn Kawamoto at Austin Bass Traders is in close touch with the company, and will know the exact scoop, and will honestly tell you what he thinks about the different models.

They are going through a pretty significant update of the Puma heads at the moment, and I think the new 500 is shipping already, with the very revised 1000 due to start shipping by NAMM, from what I've been told.

K

8. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Good point, Ken. I had not thought that the website might not reflect the specs on their current offerings.

On that note, I did hear from Rawn at Osiamo -- is that the vendor's name? -- that the Puma 350 was switching from class A/B to class D.

9. Lots of changes.. new power amps, etc. I wish they would put out some sort of news update on the site. Seems a bit of chaos to me.

10. I have the information directly from Thomas that the XS line of cabinets use the same high/mid driver as in the combo.

Crossover point at 4 khz:rolleyes: