1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 3-Ch DI vs Tech 21 Character Series VT Bass Deluxe Distortion Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tercesyrev, Aug 20, 2012.

1. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
  2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I didn't own the PBDDI, but I did own the RPM and I currently own a VT Bass deluxe. The RPM sounded great, but I was limited to how many settings I had with it. Between the PBDDI and the VTD, I think the VTD has more features to it (Effects loop, 6 presets, two inputs, and a dry output on the side) while still having good tone. The VT can be a bit "touchy" with how sensitive the controls are, but it's been a tonal goldmine for me since I've owned it. Some people run theirs differently, but I put mine straight into the effects return on my amp and love the tone I get from it. It would still be nice to have a mid sweep for the VT like I had on the RPM, but that might affect the character of the pedal too much.

The RPM is supposedly darker than the RBI (which is the same channel strip as the PBDDI), but I've been able to get good bright and dark tones out of the VTD with ease. Spend some time getting to know the VTD and getting settings for different basses/tones you want to use with it. If things don't pan out with the VTD, you should have no trouble at all selling it on here.