Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Bass Compactor...running hot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 26, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've got a Tech 21 Bass Compactor, and ever since I've been using my Lakland Skyline (active p/u), this pedal is creating a bit of a background buzz (not too loud), but more significantly it seems to be running really hot and causing farting of the low notes. Messing with the EQ and level nobs on the pedal don't seem to be improving the situation.

My compactor is the last in a line of pedals. Powered by AC on pedal board. Any ideas?

Thanks

The Nanny

2. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Have you tried it without other pedals if the problem exists

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i sued to have one a while ago, and return it cause it hissed a LOT, i did a search and everyone told me that the hiss is a big issue on that pedal

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Noisiest pedal I've ever owned. I sold it to my guitarist, who used it a while, then gave up on it as well.

5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    or get a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor .. to reduce the buzz

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    or get a better compressor

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ya, had one, made wheezey noises, dumped it.

Have you tried moving it from last in the chain to first?

8. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    just don't turn the compression above 10.30 - 11 and it should be fine. I own and use one and it's fine around this setting. I use it first in line of my chain with level around 4, boost high and low to suit bass and keep the comp level around the suggested setting above.

hope it helps

groove

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I agree with groove, I keep mine about 10 o'clock and I like it. I like that it's pretty apparent in the signal...unlike the Aphex compressor which is transparent...I am considering the Analogman Bi-CompROSSer.

Al

10. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK I'm fed up now...the darn pedal is now causing a FARTING noise through my cab when I play my low B with any degree of aggression. Jeesh. I'll start using the compression on my amp head until I can find a decent rack mount.

11. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Does your battery need replacing? Mine did that when it was low. My band mates loved it though.

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I love mine. To each his own. Keep the compression below 12 o'clock or you'll get flutter. Compression should be first, you want to compress your bass signal not the rest of your effects.

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Not entirely true... If your compresor is first it takes away from dynamics... If you loose dynamics, your OD, Fuzz and EV Filter tones will suffer... Fuzzes/OD/Filters need direct interaction with your bass, this is especialy true with OD and Fuzz... So the rule of thumb is:

Gain Pedals -> Filters -> Compresion -> Everything else...

Cheers

Alex

ps. BTW, back when I used compresion - it was right before my power amp, and its sounded GREAT!...

14. I realize that you've stated this as a rule of thumb but I strongly prefer compressing my signal before anything else. It's all a matter of preference and I think each player has to try it out both ways because it DOES sound different. Personally, I love the sound of compressed overdrive and I absolutely love compressing the bass signal and then adding EQ - to me that sounds very different than adding low end EQ and then compressing it. Try and see what works for ya.

With that said,..... I wouldn't put an envelope filter after a compressor. :)

Also, to The Nanny, what have you got running into the Tech 21?

15. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I know what you mean about adding EQ after a compressed signal, it sounds GREAT... I do that in the studio often. As for the overdrive bit, that just seems wrong to me... I use a very dynamic overdrive, so when I play lightly its almost clean - dig in and it'll rip the front rows heads off. I also can get varing dynamics by playing at the neck, over the pups and bridge - as well as varing the tone control.

OH, also - this applies to PASSIVE basses mostly...

But, I know lots of people who do run Comp into OD. Now Comp into Fuzz is evil and you anyone doing so should be hung by thier baby teeth...

Alex

16. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Lakland (active p/u) ---> boss chorus -----> boss dynamic wah ------> compressor

I've tried it with the compressor at different parts of the chain, and I'm getting the same farting. knob adjustment and battery change didn't stop the problems. When I take the pedal out, problem is solved.

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions, peeps! I think the pedal is simply defective.

cheers

17. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    nanny, have you tried turning 'down' the low EQ on the compactor? also - perhaps the settings on your bass and amp are pushing too much bass in addition to this? keep that compression down below 10.30 bearing the above in mind.

groove :)

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    my compactor was distorting on the attack with my passive g&l sb-1 (loud passive pbass) I eventually sold it and got a tech21 RBI hoping the tone might be similar, it was but without the adjustable compression. there is a little inherant compression with the RBI circuits, but on the whole I'm glad I bought the RBi and eventually I bought a dBx 166L compressor for my rack figuring that the good tone I got from the compactor was from compression, but after having both I think most of the tone was from the sansamp circuitry in the RBI or compactor.

TRY LOWERING YOUR INPUT VOLUME TO THE PEDAL? if that doesn't help then its probably compression attack distortion, if I set my attack time on the dbx compressor too fast i get a similar distortion.