Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Bass Compactor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I bought a Tech 21 (SansAmp) Bass Compactor today on closeout at GC. It's going back tomorrow. It's noisy and cruddy. How can this possibly be? The SansAmp Bass Driver DI and Acoustic DI are superb. At least I now know why it was on closeout. Any others with experience on this?

I don't use compression as a rule, but I thought it'd be fun to check it out. Maybe I should run through the dbx-1066 I have in my PA. Oh well.

2. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't know, I bought one about 3 weeks ago and used it on all our December gigs. No problems, especially no noise. I was using a dbx 163A and am selling it on ebay because I like the Tech 21 better. I've always used some compression live to even out the level and keep the hot notes from overdriving my preamp. The operative word here is "some", the Tech 21 has pretty extreme compression above 11 o'clock. I keep it between 7 and 10. It adds very little coloration to my bass if I keep the tone controls at 12. I think you might have a bad one.

3. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I've been using one for about two months and found that if you turn the compression up beyond 11-12 o'clock you get a hell of a noise. To be honest I read about this problem in Bassist magazine but luckily was able to test drive it first as I bought it from a friend. I find that it gives me the compression I like at just above minimum so this isn't a problem for me. If your getting noise below say 9 o'clock then I reckon you have a dud, if not its just the way it is.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Weel, folks, it's a moot point. The sucker's back at GC.